Advice on updating old drain plumbing to current code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jono604

Reaction score
Hi
I'm in the process of renovating my small 1946 bungalow.
Its a fairly extensive remodel (all the drywall is off) and since I have the opportunity to access most of the plumbing, I'd like to take the opportunity to bring it up to current code if possible.
I'd appreciate any advice on what should be done to add venting, cleanouts (or anything else) to bring this up to current standards.
I've added a diagram to show the current layout (in black) along with some of my thoughts on updates (in red).

Developed lengths of all horizontal branches are less than 1.5m(4.9ft)

It's originally a single level house that has had a basement suite installed as part of a previous renovation (prior to us buying the house).
The bathrooms are located one on top of the other and use a basic stack vent waste system.

The basement drain plumbing is buried beneath the concrete slab so I'm not sure what's going on there but a separate vent stack was added presumably when the downstairs bathroom was put in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on additional venting for the lavatories, adding cleanout locations and the use of TY fittings on the main stack.

thanks in advance for your help
Jonathan

Attachments

• plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,810

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that those lavs both have 2" serving them, and I think those red vents are what hj calls "cosmetic".

Jono604

Reaction score
Hi dlarrivee
Thanks for your response.
You're partially correct. The basement lav is 1-1/2" (my mistake). The upstairs lav is definitely 2". We installed this section.
In the upstairs bathroom we installed all new ABS piping but the general layout is the same as the original. We swapped the lav and WC position for a better bathroom layout.
During the upstairs piping upgrade we upsized the lav drain to 2". The lav will have a 1-1/4" strainer so I'm not sure if 2" is necessary here.
What do you think?

When you say the proposed (red) vents are "cosmetic" are you saying they're not needed?
I certainly don't want to add extra plastic if I don't have to.

Do you think there's any benefit to the upper cleanout or is it ok to service the upper section of the stack from the bottom cleanout?

thanks again for your help

j

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If everything is indeed within 5' of the stack, I can't see any reason or any benefit to adding those extra vents...

I'll let a pro chime in here though.

As far as clean outs, you can have as many as you'd like. Add another one if you have a spot that will be accessible and you're cutting into that stack anyways...

Jono604

Reaction score
Yep
The upstairs lav is the furthest from the stack and is only 4'.
Hell the whole bathroom is only 8' wide... ;-)

thanks again for the feedback
j

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Little has changed in the codes for basic drainage systems. Of course lots of areas were built when there were NO codes in effect, but plumbers often knew to "do it right". It would be a major mistake to replace sanitary tees on the vertical stack with TY's. THAT would violate code AND cause trap problems.

Jono604

Reaction score
Thanks hj and jimbo for your comments

Just for clarification the connections to the stack are all done with sanitary tees. I got my terminology mixed up (I though a TY was a sanitary tee, I now realize a TY is a Y+45)

So it looks like everything is good to go with the exception of adding a vent to the downstairs lav.
I'll get on this when we start remodelling the basement

Thanks everyone for your help. As a first time DIYer it's great to have this type of reassurance.

j

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks