(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Leaking ABS to PVC fitting

Hybrid View

Default Leaking ABS to PVC fitting

So I just installed a bathtub and I've got a leak! The floor is slab on grade. I used some of that green PVC-ABS transition cement. Obviously I couldn't do the normal 1/4 turn when I dropped in the tub, so I just sort of crossed my fingers as I dropped the tub in and as it dropped in, guided the ABS tube into the PVC elbow.

As you've probably guessed, when I filled the tub the next day, the damn thing leaked from that fitting. Not a huge leak, mind you, but enough to get some spots on a "witness paper towel" i folded around the joint when I drained the tub.

So, now what do I do? I can't really move the tub at this point (set it in a bed of mortar and adhesived down the leveling feet). This is a crazy tight location. Part of me wants to say, "Heck, it's underground, just ignore it." but that part of me knows I'll always be thinking about it. I'm considering perhaps cutting the PVC tube that runs up to the overflow and trying to glob some cement over the inside of the joint, and then repairing the overflow tube with a Fernco.

Help!

Here's a picture of the situation
    Name:  IMG_0320s.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  40.5 KB

Here's a link to a larger version of the picture: http://i.imgur.com/milQ2.jpg

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You could cut out the fitting and go with a banded coupling.
    Adding more solvent isn't likely to do anything for you.

Last edited by Terry; 11-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.

You mean something like THIS?

No. That is a rubber fitting without a metal sheild to prevent the pipes from shifting.
    Will there be enough "meat" on the PVC pipes and the ABS pipe to make it into the coupling after I cut it out?

EDIT: Also, does just leaving it leaking underground give you as much heartburn as it does me? My Father just told me to just cover it up. "A few drops of drain water in the Arizona soils (basically 100% sand) won't harm anything."
    Last edited by Terry; 11-01-2011 at 02:26 PM.

You can't glue ABS to PVC
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

You can't glue ABS to PVC
    He used transition cement that is meant for joining the two materials however it may not be permited in some places by code. The real question is why not just use an abs waste and overflow in the first place?

I used Kohler K-7272 overflow drain which is the only drain that will work with this tub. It's all PVC. The overflow housing is PVC and is welded to the overflow downtube. The drain ell is PVC and is welded to the waste PVC tube. At some point I have to connect PVC to ABS. Not sure how else to do it other than I guess with a Fernco, but I'm very curious at this point!
    Last edited by zimm0who0net; 11-01-2011 at 01:36 PM.