400' run on 12 g wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Nut neighbor wants to run 400' of 3/4 conduit for a 120v outlet to plug in a very occasional skil saw or battery charger on a campsite.

Looks like 12 ga gives him 106 volts. Maybe a 15 watt porch light also. Does'nt want to pay for 10 ga. Would that be viable?

I suppose we must assume he would be also using a 50' cheap cord at the end of that 400 foot run.

Its a straight easy run, so I suppose the next guy could easily replace that wire.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
He is an absolute fool!
WHY wire it with the thought of replacing it later? Why not just do it correctly from the start??

You want to know what "correct" is?? #6 would be OK. #8 would be marginal. #10 is unacceptable. #12 is unthinkable.
This is using only 12A also. A typical circular saw is probably 15A. And not taking into account the added 50' cord.

If I were you I would not touch this.
A) Are you insured/licensed/qualified to do electrical work for others?
B) You are putting YOUR name on this if you do. The fact that he was too cheap to do the right thing will be forgotten.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
a typical ciruclar saw is 7.5a-10a from all the corded ones i've owned.. heck, my jobiste/portable 10" tablesaw draws way less than 15a. i agree 12 ga is incorrect.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Reaction score

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If his skil saw was battery operated, the charger probably would do fine on 100 volts. My first choice of skilsaw is a gas chainsaw anyway. I do have a few 300' 10 gauge extension cords that seems to run anything just fine. And brush motors run on about any voltage with reduced power.

Seems like he could live with 10 as a bare minimum. They are screwballs, and very minimalistic - already have a few solar panels there. I know he could at least get a shave at this outlet. I can talk him into 10, but 8 will be against his "religion".

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
If his skil saw was battery operated, the charger probably would do fine on 100 volts.
Well, in the OP you specifically state he would use a Skil saw or battery charger. So that is a big "if". Just a battery charger will have dramatically less VD than a 15A saw.

My first choice of skilsaw is a gas chainsaw anyway. I do have a few 300' 10 gauge extension cords that seems to run anything just fine. And brush motors run on about any voltage with reduced power.
Wow! You'll talk yourself into anything, won't you?
You're can't be serious about the motor thing, can you??

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
a typical ciruclar saw is 7.5a-10a from all the corded ones i've owned.. heck, my jobiste/portable 10" tablesaw draws way less than 15a. i agree 12 ga is incorrect.

I believe most table saws use regular AC squirrel cage motors, not brush motors, and the high starting current would be high enough to pull the voltage down across such a long run of #12 to a damaging value to the motor if it did not spin up to normal speed promptly. Possibly enough to trip the breaker, if not the thermal overload in the motor assuming it has one. Loading it down trying to cut a piece of wood might not work out too well either

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
a campsite normally does not need electricity.

If you need to run a saw at your campsite then next time, cut the wood before you go camping in the backyard.

Enjoy the camp out.

DonL

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The long service feeds (that are often undersized) at camps/cottages very often suffer from low voltage to begin with and then the same voltage drop on the return (neutral) can be a source for annoying stray voltages as well.

Tell him to go cordless and sneakernet the charger back at the camp.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
2 parallel runs of 12 guage but NOT just one

And that would cost a LOT MORE than a #10 wire because you would have to also have separate neutrals. #10 would be adequate, lthough there would still be a sizable voltage drop.​

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks