Downsizing inlet/outlet on baseboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
AFAIK, most of the hot water baseboards are 3/4" inlet/outlet.

My current Runtal is piped 3/4 inlet/outlet. Don't recall if it was a special order....

There's 2 lines in Runtals offering. Standard and Custom.
Under their standard, which is offered in all shapes, sizes and colors, the inlet/outlet on them is 1/2.
Just short of me using a 3/4 - 1/2 adapter, what are the DRAWBACKS on having the inlet/outlet on the baseboard at 1/2. Just less water flow ?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, a bit less flow but probably not an issue unless the unit is on a long run. Most manufacturers of baseboard offer it in 1/2" also but it's not usually a stocked item. Go ahead and use a couple of reducing couplings there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is part of a "loop" system, it will reduce the flow to ALL the baseboard units. If it is a single unit, such as if it replaced a radiator, then there is probably no downside to doing it.

Chefwong

Reaction score
There is a inlet / outlet. A peek in the furnace room as well as the drop where the radiator is, looks to be 2" pipe running the entire perimeter with tees going to 3/4.

So the majority of the water is 2" with 3/4 feeding the baseboard.

Hence I'm not sure if by downsizing, am I reducing the flow of the entire system bearing it's a mixed 2" and 3/4 to the legs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks