(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water softener drain

Default Water softener drain

I have a Whirpool water softener and was wondering about the small drain hose on it (the one that uses a pump). Right now it has some copper pipe running lord knows where to drain it.

I have a vertical 1 1/2 " PVC pipe that I use for my washing machine rubber hose drain.

Can I use this pipe for the water softener drain also? Or would that be a possible problem of that water getting back into the washer some how?

The water softener is right next to the washer and hence, the pvc drain pipe so it sure would be handy.

If that's a no-no, I also have a utility sink close by, I suppose I could use that?

THANK YOU.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

It would be ok to run the drain line into the washer drain. There is a devise made for washer drain that provides an air gap. Local plumbing may require one.

If you use the sink, and stop the drain line about an inch above the rim, that's your air gap (twice the size of the drain line) and you don't have to buy one or deal with using one in a washer drain pipe.

Just make sure no one ever leaves the drain plug in the sink. I would remove it from the sink area so that can't happen and some plugs the drain and the softener overflows the sink some 2:00 AM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks much.