paper inside ABS pipe??

Users who are viewing this thread

Derry

Reaction score
I found some kind of paper inside a vertical ABS plastic drain pipe (1.5 inches diameter, for a bathroom sink). It seems all the inside of the ABS pipe is coated with tar or kraft paper, it's black/gray/brown with fibers. Does anyone know if this paper contains asbestos and why it is there? The house was buit in 1986. I had to cut through it two times with a handsaw.
Thanks

Derry

Reaction score
Thank you very much HJ, Kreemoweet.
I thought about soap but wasn't sure when I saw fibers inside.
I took a picture, just in case someone saw that before, it will be nice to report here,
after searching everywhere in Google I'm very curious to know.
IMG_1142.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of is that you have cellular core abs which somehow delaminated. I don't know exactly how cell core is manufactured, so I don't know for sure that it could separate like that.

Derry

Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of is that you have cellular core abs which somehow delaminated. I don't know exactly how cell core is manufactured, so I don't know for sure that it could separate like that.
Never heard about this before.. I'll investigate.
Thanks.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Besides the date of build...

How the hell would someone line abs piping with paper anyways, I'm sure that is not it.

Cookie

Reaction score
I found this, and I am sorry, but, it made me laugh, lol.
here goes:

Medical uses of asbestos included an asbestos foot powder which used 50% by weight of powdered asbestos and talc.

NOW, that... is weird... :) foot powder? LOL. WHY?

here is the rest of the site, I am shocked to see it was used in so many things, this is interesting.

http://inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/asbestoslook9.htm

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
being vertical, soap and crud mixed with hair could form a very nice 'fiber' coating. Use a microscope to have a good look at the fiber.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I found this, and I am sorry, but, it made me laugh, lol.
here goes:

Medical uses of asbestos included an asbestos foot powder which used 50% by weight of powdered asbestos and talc.

NOW, that... is weird... :) foot powder? LOL. WHY?

here is the rest of the site, I am shocked to see it was used in so many things, this is interesting.

http://inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/asbestoslook9.htm

Yes, asbestos was used in many products. also what is wierd, but true: did you ever wonder where the expression "stop blowing smoke up my ass" came from? check out this description and demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJbwGYaDs Maybe smoking also was good for you at one time:p

Derry

Reaction score
It's not cell core, it's written CSA B181.1 on the pipe.
I don't know what it was but it's strange nobody have seen this before if it's soap.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks