Is my DWV Design OK ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Takelargebites

Reaction score
Is my DWV Design OK ? Almost done now !

I'm replumbing my house and would like any suggestions for improvements to my DWV design. I've attached pdf's of the design in plan view and 3D. I'm sorry, but the 2nd and 3rd floor plans get a little confusing to view since all the walls and fixtures from below are visible also... walls on the current floor are shown in blue and walls on floors below are in grey. Please be gentle, this is my first attempt at dwv design :)
Thanks!!

plumbing-1st-floor-plan.pdf
plumbing-2nd-floor-plan.pdf
plumbing-3rd-floor-plan.pdf
plumbing-dwv-3d.pdf
You'll need to zoom in to about 150% on the 3D drawing to be able to see it

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF this is your first attempt at DWV design, then it must also be your first attemp at INSTALLING one, and it may be an overly ambitious project for a DIYer.

Takelargebites

Reaction score
You're correct HJ, this will be my first time installing a system from scratch. Thankfully, I've got over 20 years as a residential GC so I'm not a total construction noobie :)

So, did you notice any errors or things that could be improved? I know I left out a cleanout where the branch for the kitchen turns vertical, I just haven't re-drawn it.
Thanks so much..

Takelargebites

Reaction score
Just checking back in. I'm almost done with my rough-in and it's been going great thus far. All I have to do is tie my new drain line into the old cast iron and tie together my vents and I'll be ready to test. Here's a pic of the basement. The old cast iron plumbing hung down from the joist about 30 inches. I was able to keep everything tight against the ceiling for better headroom; plus I won't hit my head on those darned cast iron pipes ever again. This project has been quite the learning experience.

Basement:
plumbing1.jpg

Kitchen:
plumbing-kitchen.jpg

Takelargebites

Reaction score
I keep the recip on hand to frighten the pipe into submission ! !

Actually, I had to scallop out a little bit of the 2x8 band joist and 2x6 sill plate where that kitchen 2" line goes down through the floor so I could make the turn into a combo.... the recip was the perfect tool. Plus, when remodeling, I like to be able to reach in somewhere and cut nails in order to take things apart versus just beating or prying on it. :)

plumbing2.jpg

Here's the only part of my original plan that I modified. I removed the 3" combo to 2" bushing to pick up the 2" line from the kitchen and a lav and used a sweep and wye instead. Other than this little change everything went in exactly as I drew it on the computer. (there's a 3-d drawing in my original post)

plumbing3.JPG

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I hear you, I use a metal blade on mine and will cut nails before I cut wood, any day.

Before I bought it, I use to work a lot hard to demo something, now I work smarter.

Takelargebites

Reaction score
I'm thinking I should hide a pack of metal cutting blades in the bathroom wall somewhere for the poor guys that remodel my house in a hundred years ! I can hear them cussing now. Who the heck frames walls with 4" screws :) oh, I make myself laugh...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your installation LOOKS good, but we have no idea whether it will "work" good. Anyone can assemble a bunch of pipe and fittings, in fact some people thinks that is all it takes to be a plumber, but without seeing the entire system we have to depend on your word that it was done correctly. I would be curious whether you actually connected a "P" trap to a tee in the middle of the right hand 3" riser, without a vent.

Takelargebites

Reaction score
Hi HJ...
Vent? We'll just open a window! :cool:

I think the p-trap you must be referring to from the picture is for a shower. It's wet vented through a lav next to it. Here's a couple of pics to hopefully clarify. I know it's got to be tough just looking at bits and pieces. thanks

Laying on my back looking up at the basement ceiling:
plumbing-basement.jpg

And a pic of part of the design:
(The entire design pdf is here:plumbing-dwv-3d.pdf)

plumbing-3d-small-notes.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks