Need help with fleck 2510 valve

Users who are viewing this thread

tsbrewers

Reaction score
hey all, I come asking for help. I had a softener installed a few years ago and need help figuring out how to set the timer. Unfortunately asking the plumber/installer is not possible. I have noticed a lot of scale and other stuff that is making me think it isn't set correctly.

I am pretty sure it is a Fleck 2510 econdominder valve (see pics). I have the manual, and also looked online for everything I can find about it, and for some reason it just doesn't make sense to me. From what I am reading, it says to turn one dial for the number of people, and turn another one for the water hardness, but I think I only have one dial to turn. The clear dial that I can bull and turn has the little people icons/numbers on it, and also numbers from 0 to 21 on it, all on the same dial. So I am not sure if I turn the knob so the number of people (2) lines up with the white dot? or set the number to grains of hardness (23 :eek: ) or is that telling me gallons? And I know I can pull the clear dial out, and the dial behind it will turn too, do I set that to something? etc.?

Here are a couple pics, if someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. I am pretty sure it is a 48k system, the tank is about 5' tall if that helps. If you need more info, I will do my best to let you know. Thanks much,

Brew

Attachments

• fleck valve.jpg
    fleck valve.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • fleck knob.jpg
    fleck knob.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 984

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The numbers around the dial (0-21) represent gallons in hundreds. The white dot tells you how many gallons between regen. Right now it looks to be set at 2100 gallons. Don't try to use people/hardness to set meter wheel. Use capacity / hardness to determine gallons. The amount of resin and salt used will determine capacity.

tsbrewers

Reaction score
ok, so I just set the dial to how many gallons before regeneration?

So my math,

2 people x 75 gallons a day =150
150 x 23 (grains hardness) =3450
48k (size) \ 3450 = 13.91 = 12 or so
12 days x 150 gallons a day =1800

so set the dial to where the white dots lines up with 18?

Is there any other way to make sure the capacity is 48k? I know I upgraded to a slightly larger one, will have to try and find the receipt for the softener to check, if there isn't another way to find out.

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you using 18lbs of salt each time it cleans?
If it is a 48k that is the max salt setting and that is a waste... it is 1.5 cubic feet of resin.
with 9lbs or say three spaces on the wheel on the back side of the timer assembly will give a capacity of 32k.
Now the 32K/23grains=1400 gallons-150gallons of one day equals 1250 or half way between the 12 and 13 on the gallon wheel.

Years ago when I was learning I was told by people longer than me in the business to forget the people count part on the gallon wheel and learn the capacity of a unit and divide the comp hardness into that capacity and then remove one days average use from the total and then to put the gallon meter to that number.

tsbrewers

Reaction score
Ok, I have no idea how much salt it uses when it regenerates. I have always figured it uses less than a bag a month which I thought was pretty good and not too much.

Again, you guys are all talking greek to me so far, but I am trying my best. :) ,

Gary, I will check out that link in your sig, and see what I can learn. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past the plumbers who did my house. I am a contractor and built my home in a small town and figured I would do a nice thing and hire the local plumbers. BIG MISTAKE. To make a long story short, they did a horrible job with everything. Thus, the lack of support from them and the need to learn it myself.

Brew

Here is a picture of the back of the timer showing the pins. I have no idea how to read them, but here they are. Hope it is clear enough, cell phone pics...

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 866

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the zero, the 1st set of pins is the backwash (10 min). The empty holes are for the brine cycle (60 min). The 2nd set of pins is the rapid rinse (10 min). Now comes the refill, next set of empty holes (12 min) With a .5 gpm brine flow control, that means 6 gallons of water which will desolve 18 lb salt. You must find out what the BLFC is. It is sometimes posted close to where the brine line connects to the valve. To change salt setting, move to last 2 pins. Each hole is 2 min. So if you need 12 lb salt 12/3=4 gallons water. 2 min per pin *.5 (brine flow rate)=4 holes.

tsbrewers

Reaction score
You are correct, the tag on the softener says .50 gpm, 1.5lb salt/mn

I am slowly catching on, I think I know what I should set it at, but I am still a little confused at how we are coming up with some of the numbers.

So, if I do 32k (capacity) / 23 (hardness) = 1280 - 150 (daily usage) = 1130 = what I should set the wheel at. Line up the clear wheel with the numbers at 1130ish to the white dot?

Then I flip open the meter and move the last two pins so their is only 4 holes "open" to give the capacity of 32k?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you do 4 holes between the 80 and 90 numbers on the wheel that will do 12lbs of salt and a capacity of a little more than the 32k, Then on the meter if you set it at 11 which will be 1100 gallons.
Check you pm for a phone number.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I was taught water treatment, 1 cu foot of resin has 30,000 grains of removal if you used 15 lbs of salt. That same cu ft has 20,000 grains if you use only 6 lbs. In you case, you have 1.5 cf so your salt use should be 9 lbs to get 30k. 30k/23=1304-150=1154. You should have 3 empty holes.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
2 people * 60gals/day= 120 * 23= 2760 grains/day * 9 days = 24840 rnd up to 25K. 25,000/23 gpg= 1087 gals - 120 = 967 gals and set the meter at 950 (half way between the 9 and 10 on the dial) that allows a 24 hr (120 gals) reserve, and if possible calendar override at day 8.

You can't set the number of holes for 7.5 lbs so... you only get 6 or 9 lbs so 25K requires 3 holes @ 2 mins each = a total of 3 gals of refill water @ 3lb of salt each = 9lbs of salt and 3333 grains per lb salt efficiency.

tsbrewers

Reaction score
thanks for all the help, I believe I have it correct now. I really appreciate all the help. Now to save the page as a pdf for future reference. :)

Brew

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks