Any Hydronic Heating System Experts Here?

Users who are viewing this thread

mz4wheeler

Reaction score
As part of remodeling my basement, I've added about 100 ft of type M 3/4" copper to expand my hydronic heating systems to a couple of rooms.

A hydronic heating system is water based, closed loop, with a central boiler. A small pump circulates the water to various "zones" of the house. The output is either a baseboard heater (water based) or in floor heating.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to attach the new section of the heating system to the basement zone, which is a matter of draining the system, cutting the basement zone pipe, and splicing the new section into it.

All of this is fine. The problem I'm running into is how to refill the system to remove all air from the system. I can sort of deduce how it needs to be done, and I sort of have a half-ass plan, but this is a pretty old system (30 years) and I don't want to screw up [grin].

So: Any Hydronic Heating System Experts Here?

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
Yes we are here. You have two problems..
1. If you have done air purging(bleeding) of a system before then a question or two wouldn't hurt. If you have never done it there are too many tricks of the trade that you might have to do while purging the system. Safety first! In which case you should get a pro to tie in your pipes.

2. If you have done purging before please post two or three pictures of your existing heating system and ask a specific question and I would be glad to help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
purging

One of the potential problems is that if you do not know how to purge it, you may not have done the piping correctly so it can be purged. We would have to see what provision you made to do it before we could give the steps necessary to do it.

mz4wheeler

Reaction score
I'll post a whole series of photos soon (hopefully tonight) of my system.

Thanks

hj said:
One of the potential problems is that if you do not know how to purge it, you may not have done the piping correctly so it can be purged. We would have to see what provision you made to do it before we could give the steps necessary to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks