(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's a girl! British royal succession rules to change

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

That is what is great about freedom.

Waking up and not having to go to church.

Halloween tomorrow.

America is quite funny with halloween.

There are people here that are so churchy, they won't even go to a halloween party.

Quite incredible.

So, let's have a head count.

Who would and who would not let their three year old go to a Halloween party, in costume with bouncy castle and all?

I am a yea.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-30-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking haloween party

I would rather take them to a haloween party and have fun
    than take them dragging and screaming to church

I am sitting here sewing halloween costumes, little pumpkins, for a childrens hospital halloween party. It is fun for the kids, why take the holiday so serious, this isn't Salem Mass anymore, lol. Let kids be kids. I sewed my youngest a costume one year, made him into, Cousin It.Well, the weather was so bad, trick n treating was called off, so, instead we went to supermarket where you could treat n trick, and they had a costume contest. He won first prize! Under all that yarn, when I said, " you won, you won;" I heard, this little squeaky little voice, say, " how much, how much?" He was so excited and that year, he bought himself with his Geofrey money, a 50 dollar Power Ranger mobile.

I am not saying there are not people who do not believe in Witchcraft, God, I know their are, but, I do not, and we celebrate to have fun. I will see if I have a picture of him from that year when he was 5. He was so cute... and still is. Just a bigger cute.

*Just so you know, I have been doing this at one of our childrens hospital since, I was a candystriper at age 13. I met Joe Namath once. I brought him a cold water pitcher, he was very nice and I got his autograph.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Ian, I could make you into ... let's see, Paul McCartney! or, one of those past kings, oh my...

...or, I could make you into an Cousin It. I would need more yarn, though, lol. Cute picture don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Ian,must be at church.
    No, Ian was at Wallyworld looking for terrorists

http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=5A...BD262A53D8B071
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

If I read the news correctly, a first born GIRL can be queen, but not if she is a NUN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    That is what is great about freedom.

Waking up and not having to go to church.

Halloween tomorrow.

America is quite funny with halloween.

There are people here that are so churchy, they won't even go to a halloween party.

Quite incredible.

So, let's have a head count.

Who would and who would not let their three year old go to a Halloween party, in costume with bouncy castle and all?

I am a yea.

I am a big fan of halloween and my kids have and I hope always will enjoy the same. I am not sure, however, of Ian's premise that being pro-church makes one anti-Halloween. One of my kids goes to a public junior high, the others go to a Catholic school. The Catholic schoolers all went off to school this morning with their costumes and they will have their annual Halloween parade where they dress up and walk around the parking area. This is really cute and the grandparents love it. Halloween, however, has been banned from public school, apparently because the local Wiccans expressed that it was disrespectful of their religion. The title of the overpaid and underworked school district bueracrat that made this decision is Equity Coordinator, who is paid $100,000 per year to make sure that no one except Christian white heterosexuals are ever offended in the school district. He also recently resceduled one of my son's dances because it fell on Yom Kippur.

All I am saying is that there are some people in this country who do not embrace halloween on religious grounds.

You would not find groups like this in Europe where Christianity is less extreme.

I appreciate the historical reasons for this difference:

1) It was the stricter of the faith that came over on the boat here.

2) You had far fewer losses in World Wars I and II which tends to dent one's confidence in an Almighty.

These two factors also explain why America has "church traffic" and Europe does not.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-31-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Hey Ian, when you were growing up in Britain did you play with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, and toy soldiers? Any difference in being a kid there vs. here?

It was all the same. The times have changed but I did what you did back then.

Sunday school (that did not last long).

Running around in the woods with toy guns, climbing trees.

Riding bikes.

Fishing (with a permit).

Making go-carts.

Eating candy.

Shooting air pistols.

Carrying knives.

Lighting fires.

The last three we probably shouldn't have done.

Scouts.

Camping.

Drinking the odd can of beer.

American kids probably wouldn't do the last bit because the police will arrest kids here for doing that. In England they would just take the beer.

I think it is crazy what American police do to underage drinkers. And their parents.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-31-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTW View Post
    I am a big fan of halloween and my kids have and I hope always will enjoy the same. I am not sure, however, of Ian's premise that being pro-church makes one anti-Halloween. One of my kids goes to a public junior high, the others go to a Catholic school. The Catholic schoolers all went off to school this morning with their costumes and they will have their annual Halloween parade where they dress up and walk around the parking area. This is really cute and the grandparents love it. Halloween, however, has been banned from public school, apparently because the local Wiccans expressed that it was disrespectful of their religion. The title of the overpaid and underworked school district bueracrat that made this decision is Equity Coordinator, who is paid $100,000 per year to make sure that no one except Christian white heterosexuals are ever offended in the school district. He also recently resceduled one of my son's dances because it fell on Yom Kippur.
    here in the NY metro area, all public schools are closed on Yom Kippur, as there is a large population of Jewish students and teachers. If Halloween is banned here in public schools, it is for a different reason than offending anybody, like this article about NJ public schools http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/scho...s-20111020-ncx

They are concerned about it interfering with learning

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    here in the NY metro area, all public schools are closed on Yom Kippur, as there is a large population of Jewish students and teachers. If Halloween is banned here in public schools, it is for a different reason than offending anybody, like this article about NJ public schools http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/scho...s-20111020-ncx

They are concerned about it interfering with learning

I find baggy jeans worn below butt crack level and skimpy tops to be far more disruptive to education than a once-a-year costume.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTW View Post
    I find baggy jeans worn below butt crack level and skimpy tops to be far more disruptive to education than a once-a-year costume.
    I agree, sounds like a job for crackspackle. I don't know how schools can allow those homeboy pants to school.

What do you think he saw, Ian?

She concluded her eulogy by sharing Jobs’ final moments, which were spent staring lovingly at his family, and his final three monosyllabic words as he stared into the distance past their shoulders: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...060321674.html
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-31-2011 at 09:18 AM.