Access to tub plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
I'm building a cabinet front for a drop-in tub, and wondering if I should make it removable for the purpose of future plumbing access. The floor is slab-on-grade, and half the tub projects into an exterior bump-out, with interior walls bracketing the tub on boths sides where it projects into the room.

The underside of the deck-mounted faucet is accessible from a chase area, but access to this chase requires removing a built-in cabinet (remove 2 screws and slide the cabinet out of it's opening). This chase area also provides access to the interior of the shower plumbing wall (see attached sketch).

I can design the tub front to be removable or to have a removable panel, but it would complicate the design and the aesthetics. Is the chase (and removing a built-in to access it) sufficient for future service needs? The chase is large enough to stand (and kneel) in, but the built-in is directly above the faucet, so with the cabinet removed, you can simply reach in the hole and under the deck to access the underside of the fixtures.

tub layout.jpg

tub layout.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many tubs, including drop-ins, are found with NO access to the underside of the valve. This is not good!

If you have access thru that chase in the event the faucet needs to be replaced, that would be excellent. A removable front panel may not be necessary or even desirable, in that case.

drop-in-tub-overflow-work.jpg

A tile removed for access.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Standard tub - no motors/heaters/etc. (otherwise, I'd definitely provide a removable panel). So it sounds like while a removable front panel would be nice, access through the chase will be sufficient. Thanks for the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks