old house adding drains looks ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Petros151

Reaction score
AFTER THE REPLY I SAW SOMETHING:

this was my original
I have a 1900's 2 floor with full attic home there is only one vent for the whole pluming system. So far there are no problems with existing drains. I drew a pic of what is there and what I want to add. I think it should still work fine but wanted to have some feedback. I assume since the vent is in the midst of the waste pipe which goes out f the house that everything that gets connected to this main pipe will still work well.

I looked and there is NOT a pipe coming from the basement to the roof. The second drawing shows what is happening as far as I can see. The vent out the roof I can only find behind the wall in the 2nd floor bath it does not go down to the basement. It is lead. So the first floor has a sink drain and a washer drain and neither are vented. The kitchen sink drains right into the basement waste pipe as does the washer. The plumbing for the 2nd floor bath is under the floor so I cannot see any of it but there is a vent in the wall behind the toilet so I assume the whole bath upstairs is vented but the 1st floor is not. Since the whole thing works I am hoping if I just add another sink drain (where a dish washer also drains) and a toilet plus sink for a half bath it will still work but I am having my doubts
about that now. I am not at all sure how I could run a vent for anything on the first floor.

thanks if anyone can help

Attachments

• adding.gif
    adding.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 328
  • add2.gif
    add2.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If things are as you've drawn them, you're lucky your traps don't get sucked dry. Each fixture should be individually vented. This does not mean that you need numerous vent pipes sticking out of the roof, but they do that sometimes for convenience, especially with cathedral ceilings where you don't have an attic everywhere to combine them in the attic (if not done in the walls beneath). Now, there may be additional connections to that vent line in the wall, and if so, then things are okay. Older stuff tended to have S-traps, and plumbers quickly figured out that they weren't the best for reliable sealing. You often can't tell an S-trap from a P-trap until you open the walls up and see what's behind them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks