Weak Flush problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Brusker

Reaction score
This is peculiar: Bemis toilet has weak flush (no whirlpool forms, requires two flushes). Plunging indicates there is no obstruction/blockage.
Workaround solution: I pour about a quart of water into the bowl when I flush and it flushes perfectly.
This seems to confirm there is nothing blocking, but a little extra push seems to unlock the power.
The toilet is upstairs in a two story house and is reasonably new (5yrs).
Any solutions?? Thanks!
Brusker

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Oaky, I got this one. Bemis makes seats.
So if you lift up your Bemis seat, then yes you can pour water down.

If it's important to flush paper and other odd things down, then you might need to snake it. You still need to lift the seat though. Oh wait. No you do['t have to lift the seat. You can, I mean there's like a big opening in the seat wehre things go down.
Got that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that the rubber hose coming off the fill valve is pointed down the overflow tube and is being held by the clip, and not just stuck down the tube. If the bowl is not full at the start of the flush, it doesn't work well.

If you've changed the fill valve, it may not have the proper balance so that the tank and the bowl are both getting full.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your bowl is NOT starting with a full volume of water, so the first flush just replenishes it and then the second flush actually clears the bowl. There are several possible causes but the most likely is that the "refill" tube is either not inserted into the overflow tube, or no water is coming out of it. There are other possibilities but we would have to be there and do our own tests to find out exactly what the problem is.

Brusker

Reaction score
OK, it's definitely the amt of water in the bowl.

There are two water level lines inside the tank. It currently fills to the lower one. If I hold down the Fluidmaster 400 fill valve until it fills to the higher line I get a good normal flush. This level is exactly even w/the top of the fill pipe, so it must be the limit. There is a pencil-like "link" (that's what the diagram calls it) btw the top and float cup. Turning that doesn't seem to make a difference in how high the water fills.

How to get more water in there?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Play with the float adjustment more.

I removed all the "refill" tubes into my toilet tanks from the overflows and I get the same flush and likely save 2 quarts per cycle. [from that previous thread]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks