Replace iron fittings with brass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pigrew

Reaction score
Hi,

In my house, I have a rusted iron tee fitting in the potable water supply (to the kitchen). The iron fitting is 1/2 in and has one end going to a sillcock (chrome-plated brass???), the other two connected to brass (or maybe copper?) adapters to flared copper pipe.

My first inclination would be to just replace the tee with a brass tee, but I recently found out that brass contains significant amounts of lead. I think that this would be a legal option, but is this what would be suggested? I'm starting to think that this concern about lead might be moot because my nice new Moen kitchen faucet has lead it it, and probably contributes much more to the contamination of the water? Is it "standard practice" to use brass fittings or are they avoided now?

Thanks,

Nathan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; but I recently found out that brass contains significant amounts of lead.

Brass pipe and fittings have been used for centuries and NO ONE has died from them. Do NOT be terrorized by scaremongers who are pushing their own agendas. I use brass nipples and fittings whenever they are appropriate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks