water softener drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Kristacody

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used water softener for my house to put where an existing one is. The problem is is the one that is in there now has not been in use since I bought
the house and is correctly hooked up for inlet and outlet lines but there is no drain for it. What do I do there is no drain near this site? Can i run a line in to my existing
toilet drain that is up higher (this is in a basement), or can I use a pump like on my furnace, or do I have to make a new drain? Also does a water softener take out lime?

Last edited:

Rjh2o

Reaction score
There must be a drain somewhere if there was a softener there already. Possibly floor drain, sump pump, standpipe with a trap in another room. It may have run upstairs to a laundry tub. Do NOT run the drain in to the toilet drain. All softeners need a proper "AIR GAP" to prevent waste from backing up and possibly contaminating the system. Look in the ceiling around the basement to see if there may be a standpipe with a trap for the softener. Yes softeners take out calcium, lime magnesium (hardness minerals) and some ferrous (dissolved) iron.
RJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks