(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing shower tub trim and need help! Powers 410 Hydroguard

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

http://www.deltafaucet.com/search/re...#axzz1dujnyrlK shows the choices of just the rough-in valve. I'd probably go with the R10000-UNWS, but it would depend on what your piping is, as to what's the best. The letters decode as UN- universal connection - either screw on or solder in; WS - with stops.

As said earlier in the thread, with this rough-in valve, you have a huge choice of trims and control means (including single handle, or two handles with either just temp and volume, or thermostat and volume). If you go to http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/tubs...tml#1873294718_ and select the R-10000 rough-in, and then specify what you want, it will show you your options. While Kohler makes some nice stuff, it is a major pain sometimes getting parts down the road. Delta's stuff tends to be backwards compatible...Kohler's seems to be the design of the day with little regard to backwards compatibility.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I agree that Delta has many many more choices, but the problem is I don't actually like ANY of the delta choices of trim. Especially the tub spouts. If I get the Delta universal valve, can I put spouts different tub spouts /showerheads on their? I don't mind the levers, they are ok.

I called our plumbing supply store in NYC and they said they have Kohler parts and its not a problem. But yes True that there isn't a "universal" Kohler valve and I will be much more limited with choices of trim depending on which valve I choose.

The one I really love is the Grohe GR-PB101 Atrio Pressure Balanced Shower Trim with Multi Function Shower Head, Tub Spout, Shower Arm and Single Lever Handle
    Name:  grohe_gr_pb101sc_10.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  13.2 KB

I just wish Delta had something that was even close to similar

Neither the tub spout nor the shower head and arm are specific to a valve brand, so you can use any one you wish. Personally, I have Grohe stuff in my home, and like it. It's not all that old, so I can't say how it will age (the tub/shower valve stuff is about 6-years old now, no problems).

Kohler's parts book looks more like a phone book...so, while any one place may have a 'decent' supply, that doesn't mean they have what you'll need 10-20 years down the road. Often, the only place to get it is from the factory, and then they don't always have it, either.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The local supply store told me to go Moen or Grohe. After looking some more, I think I'm going to go with the Hansgrohe iBox Universal Plus Rough-in Valve with Service Stop that has a bunch of trim options. Anyone have any objections or is this a good solution that gives me a range of price options for trim that should be upgrade able in the future?

Hansgrohe and Grohe are two different companies...
    Jim DeBruycker

Doh!!!!! Well..... they had both apparently (Grohe and Hansgrohe) I went with the new Hansgrohe valve since it has the look I want, BOTH pressure balance and volume control in a single lever, and a good array of trims. I know Grohe is supposed to be the higher end of the two, but the reviews I read from people using the Hansgrohe shower faucets have been positive. My plumber may hate me now, oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by angel9894 View Post
    Doh!!!!! Well..... they had both apparently (Grohe and Hansgrohe) I went with the new Hansgrohe valve since it has the look I want, BOTH pressure balance and volume control in a single lever, ...
    They all are required anti-scald technology (pressure balance is one way to achieve this), so that isn't an issue here. All of the single handle valves I'm aware of give you full volume with no volume control, only temperature control (if the handle has two motions, rotate and twist, like some older ones, that may be possible). It starts cold, and goes warmer as you turn the valve futher, but there's no volume control - it's either on or off. That feature is available, but it requires two levers, knobs, or a combination.
    Jim DeBruycker

You're right. My apologies.
    This is the one I got (with the Ibox universal plus rough)

S Thermostatic Trim w/Volume Control and Diverter

Thermostatic temperature control
    Volume control and diverter for 2 outlets
    Anti-scald 100-degree safety stop
    Flow 8 GPM @ 44 PSI
    Set your preferred water temperature
    7/8" shallow extension set #13596xx0 (sold separately)
    Requires iBox™ Universal Plus rough #01850181
    Requires an iBox Universal Plus rough for installation. Available in drop down menu
    Name:  Hansgrohe-04231.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  3.4 KB