(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing shower tub trim and need help! Powers 410 Hydroguard

Hybrid View

Default Changing shower tub trim and need help! Powers 410 Hydroguard

I am doing a remodel of my bathrooms and want to change the showerheads, spouts and control levers in my 2 full bathrooms. I brought in a few contractors who said we "HAD" to do all this extensive stuff and long story short quoted anywhere from 6-10k just for the plumbing (NYC pricing, ha!) This is a highrise building and doing anything with opening up walls is a pain and expensive!

So I then had the maintenance guy from my building come in since he is doing a bunch of work on the side for us (installing new toilets, light fixtures, vanities etc), and he said that it's NOT necessary to do anything with the plumbing, I can just change out the trim with any trim kit I find that I like.

So here is my question:
    Currently the showers use these "Powers Hydroguard 410" lever controls Name:  044.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  82.3 KBName:  042.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  44.1 KBName:  086.JPG
Views: 590
Size:  62.4 KBName:  085.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  61.1 KB

He said they have a brass valve and he can supply any of the valves needed and any standard trim kit should work. I want to buy a mid-range Kohler trim set to replace these fixtures with. I know ideally it would be better to change out the whole shower body, but we simply don't have the kind of money it costs to do it right now.

What do I need to look for in a trim set to replace this? Should I still buy a kit that has a valve or no need. I'm looking for something on ************.com but confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to this total newbie!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your handyman doesn't seem to have a clue about the valve and the trim for it.

You have to use the trim that is made for the valve in the wall. Either that, or change the valve in the wall.

What is standard, is the shower arm. That threads into a 1/2" female fitting in the wall, so any standard shower arm, or shower head will work.

The tub spout is also a standard 1/2" pipe thread.

Name:  powers_410_breakdown.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  PB410.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  18.5 KB
    Last edited by Terry; 10-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.

You can replace a valve by using a reno plate, basically you open up the tile and replace the valve then use the plate to cover the larger hole that you made. For a pro your looking at about 2 hours. Thats not what the handy man in your bulding is LOL! What happens when he causes a leak and floods out the building? I would go with a licenced plumber who knows what he's talking about.

Not to defend him as I have no dog in this fight, but he isn't a "handyman". He is a union member licensed plumber and electrician in NYC and one of the 20 year Maintenance men for the building who handles all the building and electrical plumbing. Maybe he didn't know exactly what I was asking via telephone, or rather, maybe I misunderstood what he was telling me.

I just checked and I found the updated version of those old Powers ones and it was over $400.00 just for the lever replacement.

Name:  Powers PB410.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  27.6 KB

So is there no Kohler or Grohe or nice replacement I can buy?

As for opening up the tile and replacing the valve, opening up the tile does not = opening up the wall does it? My building requires a 5k deposit to do anything that requires opening walls.

Again, thanks for you patience with me!
    Last edited by angel9894; 10-24-2011 at 11:59 PM.

So excluding the lever/valve issue, I can replace the Shower Head and the tub spout with most standard ones?

We are renting the apartment out and my Dad's given me a tiny budget so I have to find ways to update the bathrooms at minimal cost

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If your guy has done it, then let him find the parts.

That's not how it works in the rest of the world though. For the rest of us, you would normally find parts that mate up.
    Manufacturers don't make parts that interchange.

I also can't use Toyota parts in my Mitsubishi.

The picture you posted shows a complete valve with trim. Can you buy just the trim?
    And if you go to the Powers web site, you should be able to contact their tech support and they should know your options. That has to be a common question for them.

Thanks Terry!
    I submitted a tech support request to them 2 days ago asking this question, which I'm sure you're right, must be common! Unfortunately, nothing heard back yet.

In the meantime, am I ok to go ahead and at least buy new shower heads and spouts?