Flower Bed Remote Faucet: what type of piping to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

cn90

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some good advices. I need a Remote Faucet (to be used with Garden Hose) for a Flower Bed about 100 feet from the main house.
This is for manually watering the flowers, plants etc. (yes, for manual use and not for sprinkler system).

* House water pressure is about 100 psi, so I have enough pressure to go 100 ft to the Flower Bed.
* The house currently has underground sprinkler system, so I am familiar with Sprinkler Black Polyethylene piping.

* I want to run some underground piping for a Remote Faucet for Flower Bed.

Here are my questions:

1. I understand copper piping is probably the best, so I don't mind doing copper but....do I have to use copper?

2. Has anyone used Sprinkler Black Polyethylene for this (using appropriate adaptors, Oetiker clamps etc. etc.)?
I will turn off the water when not in use but can Polyethylene connections handle the static pressure of 100 psi?

Thanks!

RemoteFaucet.jpg

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
although I do not use poly myself if what you get is rated for about 120 psi it will handle the static pressure just fine. I've seen poly used for irrigation main lines which are under pressure the whole season and have no problems.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most of the sprinkler grade poly around here is 100 PSI rated. Why not run a better 160 PSI grade poly?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have 100 psi in your house, you should definitely install a pressure regulator and thermal expansion tank. You can leave the high pressure for the flower bed line, but the interior of the house should be reduced considerably. I have mine at 50 psi, but anywhere up to 80 psi is acceptable. I'm surprised you don't have problems with the T/P valve on your water heater, and you certainly aren't doing your toilets, dishwasher, and clothes washer any favors with that much pressure. As far as your choice of pipe is concerned, others have suggest 160 psi rated poly which require special connectors and tools to install. My choice would be ridged PVC, but either type will work.

cn90

Reaction score
If you have 100 psi in your house, you should definitely install a pressure regulator and thermal expansion tank. You can leave the high pressure for the flower bed line, but the interior of the house should be reduced considerably. I have mine at 50 psi, but anywhere up to 80 psi is acceptable. I'm surprised you don't have problems with the T/P valve on your water heater, and you certainly aren't doing your toilets, dishwasher, and clothes washer any favors with that much pressure. As far as your choice of pipe is concerned, others have suggest 160 psi rated poly which require special connectors and tools to install. My choice would be ridged PVC, but either type will work.

Thanks Gary,

Actually I already have a Pressure-Reducing Valve installed for the inside the house.
It is set at 50-60 psi range.

For the outside line (Sprinkler system), it does not have the PRV, so it runs at 100 psi.
Actually I want it this way, i.e., leaving the Outside Line feeding the Sprinkler alone w/o the PRV, this way it has enough pressure for the Sprinkler Heads.

Back to the underground line, I am debating between Polyethylene vs Rigid PVC (white PVC).
This is a project for next Spring, so I will do a follow-up post later.

cn90

Reaction score
160 would be good. that would handle any possible surges in water pressure which is the main risk with any piping.

Thanks Mike,

Do you have a pictures that you can link, so I can use as reference?

Thanks!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks