(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving the Drywall Short - Baseboard shall cover it

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Drywall in a Bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The taper on the edge of most drywall is often nearly the height of common baseboard. Did you know that the paper on drywall has grain to it? It should be installed horizontally, not vertically, for maximum strength. This puts one big seam about mid-way up the wall (and the long edges). That's one reason why they make 12' sheets, but they're a really big pain to move around (best left to the pros with the right tools) - they minimize those harder to conceal edges after taping.
    The taper end should be pre-filled prior to installing any baseboard. Proper shear strength is not achieve the way Jim mentions. Jim doesn't know much about construction from an installation stand point - he is more of a cut and paste man. Jim's an expert from lawn movers to garage doors - just ask him.

If you have a small sliver the best thing to do is to install full sheets top and bottom. Install a 2"x6" in the center prior to these boards going up and then install a sliver cut from the taper end of a full sheet. We typically remove this sliver where we are installing sheets to meet the ceiling so many times they are on hand already. Then tape both the seams in the middle. Don't leave a gap at the bottom - your shear strength and Earth Quake requirements for shear will not be met.

What does Jim really know? Clearly not how to build anything properly. Amazing he answers so many questions with no real life experience. Amazing.

JW
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 10-23-2013 at 06:14 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Back Framing for Drywall

I snapped this photo making a sales call at a home out in Deep Cove. I was trying to get the builder to order a few of my ACO linear Drains and while there priced the work to build the showers. This was going to be a steam shower.

If you look close in the photo you can see wood blocking between all the wall studs. The original bottom plate covered by a 1.5" concrete pour which encapsulates the heating pipes. If the drywall did not go to the bottom there would be no support there for the bottom of the wall. Drywall plays a huge role in the strength of a wall and structural engineers even specify the nailing or screw pattern on their drawings.

This is a photo from a bathroom build in the USA that I'm helping with the steam shower design. When concrete board is used it requires added blocking - I shaded this photo with some blue bands to show my client what she should be asking for from her framers for this step. My local BC Building code does not require this added blocking. The Canadian Building code does not - it is the cement board manufacture that wants to see it.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.