Toto Drake II -- perplexed by leak

Users who are viewing this thread

John_

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake II (new install) where water is very slowly leaking between the tank and the bowl and I cannot figure out how this is occuring.

After discovering the leak I detached the tank, filled with water and food coloring and let it stand over a bucket to see if water was seeping from the tank bolts, fill valve or flush valve -- no leaking that I could detect. I cinched down the flush valve a bit before this leak test as well.

When I installed the tank, I did so as evenly as possible -- the tank is touching the bowl in the three locations indicated in the installation instructions. The rubber gasket that fits over the end of the flush valve is oriented correctly and the tank is level and centered over the bowl.

Is it possible that the toilet bowl opening is out of spec enough so that the gasket between the tank and bowl does not fully seal? The gasket is new.

Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally snugging the large nut does it.

If you have pliers, it wouldn't hurt to pull the flush valve and sand the inside of the tank where the parts fit in.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...oto-Drake-CST744-or-CST454CEFG-2-piece-toilet

drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

John_

Reaction score
I've already snugged the flush valve (did not sand). The really strange thing is that the leak does not seem to be coming from the tank -- at least no visible food-colored water is leaking that I can detect.

How sensitive is the tank-to-bowl connection? The tank is snug to the bowl at the 3 points of contact shown in the instructions. Any tighter and I fear breaking the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks