HVAC Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
The HVAC unit (LP gas furnace) is made by Bryant around 1990 and was wired with a flat, black insulated wire with two 8 gauge conductors and a small ground. Shouldn't it be wired with 8/3 with ground? I have to remove some decking to access the disconnect box mounted on the wall by the unit to see what kind of wire runs between the unit and the disconnect box. Yes, some bright person actually built a deck right over the unit and covered the shutoff box! I should post a picture of the original Zinsco subpanel to really scare y'all.

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
if you are talking about an a/c unit that is run off of 220v, all you need is two wire w/ground since the neutral is not used.

Charp

Reaction score
It's an all in one unit, AC/gas furnace/fan, installed outside the house. I have some 8/3 that I can use to reach the new subpanel, I just won't use the neutral. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The installation manual would indicate if it needs a neutral (which would allow some internal 120vac circuits/devices), but it probably doesn't need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks