How much FLEX in Pex

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I don't have ANY pex at home nor am familiar with the material ......am doing some planning on my excel grid this morning.
How much FLEX does pex have.

I'm considering ordering HW baseboards with the pipeing in the back of the unit . The units get hung onto cleats that attach to the wall. Standard piping on these baseboards are sides and bottom. I have some of these baseboards....and it's piped to the sides with trim covers that cover the pipework.

I'm not sure how much my RO for the heating will change but just checking in on how much FLEX pex has, as the theory will be that I connect the PEX to the baseboard,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will NOT be able to bend the PEX and connect it directly to the baseboard inside the trim covers. You sweat elbows with adapters, or adapter elbows, to the baseboard and the PEX to that.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Correct. It will be a thread adapter on the *back* of the unit and then the pex from there ---back to to current black pipe in which I will be removing the old baseboards and will probably also end up cutting shorter and rethreading.

http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/residential_radiators/baseboard_uf.html

My current runtels are piped on the side and then trim covers cover it. It makes this $$ baseboard look like crap cause the trim covers are hideous.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The bend radius of PEX tubing is determined by the size and type of PEX. Once you have the spec. which, would naturally include an oxygen barrier, you will have the bend radius. Runtal will void you warranty if non-barrier PEX is used.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The type of pex will determine the bend radius. Type -A is the most flexible and can support the smallest bend radius. To get and hold a neat bend, they do make a curved bracket you thread the tubing into. It is the best way to get a minimum radius bend without risk of crimping the tubing.

Reaction score
We're getting ready to install a Pex homerun system with a Manabloc, so we also are struggling with the flexibility issue. Viega Pex has a bend radius of 8 times the pipe diameter or 4" for 1/2" pipe. We bought the 100' roll of Pex so the pipe has a curved "set" in it. We're finding that whether you straighten or bend the tube, it wants to return to its original curve. Can Pex be heated with a heat gun? Will it this take a set at the new angle? I've seen both plastic and metal bend supports, but these are not useful since we are also planning to insulate the Pex to control condensation and conserve heat. I would appreciate any tips anyone has on bending the tubes.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I must has misworded it.
Behind the baseboard, there is at least 6" + room back there.
The goal is to just run the short loop of pex out the wall, connect it back to the baseboard from the back - and then *hang the baseboard* onto the cleat.

The goal is not connect the baseboard on the side taps or bottom - for a nonexposed install of the loops.
Should be plenty of room that when I *push the pex* into the wall, it just needs some give to curve.
I'm not talking some really sharp bend radius or anything..

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
PEX is about as flexible as a stiff (non-rubber) garden hose. You can get the play you need by either offsetting the supply tap and baseboard connection about 1-1/2 to 2', or using 3-4' of pex to make a loop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks