PC to ABS: Fernco or solvent weld?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Below is a pic of the drain pipe under my master bath vanity. My drain pipes are made of ABS.

About a 1/4" from the face of the escutcheon, someone has previously welded a straight coupling, and for God knows what reason, the trap has been glued together.

I am installing a new base cabinet and top, and the drain needs to be repositioned.

Should I cut along the yellow line, remove the escutchion, and slip on a Fernco coupling?
Or can I make a cut a little further out, and solvent-weld a PVC street coupling into the inner ABS pipe?

Orange has an "all-purpose" cement which works on both ABS and PVC, but it doesn't say on the label if it's okay for to welding together two different plastics together.

Just trying to ascertain a legitimate way to do this - preferably without tearing into the wall.

Thanks in advance,
David

Master vanity drain.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There is a transition glue available, but in your case I wouldn't use it.

Cut on that yellow dotted line, and lose the bell-escutcheon, bore out the back of the cabinet enough to fit a new ABS coupling.

I'd be tempted to use a spigot-trap adapter, and use a tubular trap so you can avoid problems like this later on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks