PC to ABS: Fernco or solvent weld?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Below is a pic of the drain pipe under my master bath vanity. My drain pipes are made of ABS.

About a 1/4" from the face of the escutcheon, someone has previously welded a straight coupling, and for God knows what reason, the trap has been glued together.

I am installing a new base cabinet and top, and the drain needs to be repositioned.

Should I cut along the yellow line, remove the escutchion, and slip on a Fernco coupling?
Or can I make a cut a little further out, and solvent-weld a PVC street coupling into the inner ABS pipe?

Orange has an "all-purpose" cement which works on both ABS and PVC, but it doesn't say on the label if it's okay for to welding together two different plastics together.

Just trying to ascertain a legitimate way to do this - preferably without tearing into the wall.

Thanks in advance,
David

Master vanity drain.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There is a transition glue available, but in your case I wouldn't use it.

Cut on that yellow dotted line, and lose the bell-escutcheon, bore out the back of the cabinet enough to fit a new ABS coupling.

I'd be tempted to use a spigot-trap adapter, and use a tubular trap so you can avoid problems like this later on.