(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Plumb Washer & Laundry Sink Into Existing Stack

Default Plumb Washer & Laundry Sink Into Existing Stack

Want to install a laundry sink and washer as shown in the photo. Can I just remove the existing 4"-T from the stack, replace it with a "Double Sanitary T", use one tap of the San T as a clean-out and the other tap as the run for the sink using a wye then onto the
    washer?

Also will I not need a vent for the sink/washer since it will be close to the stack?

Check out photos and let me know your comments of a better way
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Hammerlane; 10-22-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Exactly what you are proposing has been done by thousands of homeowners, in my opinion, who have essentially the exact setup you have.
    Will it work.....more or less.

Is it legal...definitley not. You do not have a vent. That waste stack cannot serve as the vent. One way to make it legit is to vent with an air admittance valve ( Studor valve) which may or may not be allowed under your code.

Other plumbers on here will disagree...but my advice: just DO IT! Be prepared to remove it all, if you decide to put the house on the market.

To properly vent, cant I just tap into the vent coming out of the run of that San-T for the garage drains?

I CAN be done, but NOT the way you think it can be done. You WILL need a vent since that "pipe" is a drain from the higher elevation fixtures. IF you were to use one side of a sanitary cross for a cleanout, the plumber who has to use it would have many unkind things to say about your parents and ancestors.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

The "right" side of the sanitary cross would be used as a cleanout for the stack and I could put another cleanout at the end of the horizontal run to service horizontal run if needed. See new photo???

You missed his point.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The cleanout can be raised above the santee that will be needed to add the lower fixtures.
    The picture you posted doesn't work. It needs to look more like the picture below.
    hj will argue that the picture has too many fittings, but I can no longer plumb like they do in Arizona. The picture below works in Arizona and in the other 49 states. But if you "do" live in Arizona, then take his advice.
    Or just make sure you pull a permit, which I assume you are doing and the inspector will make sure you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The cleanout can be raised above the santee that will be needed to add the lower fixtures.
    The picture you posted doesn't work. It needs to look more like the picture below.

Thanks for chiming in Terry. I want the laundry sink to the left of the stack not in front of the stack. So forget my 2nd photo and go back to my first photo. How would you suggest to continue from the way it is now. Are you saying to cut in another T above the current one in the stack?

Thanks.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You would need to tee off fairly low to the floor to pick up both the washer and the laundry tray.

The cleanout on the stack could be above that.

I saw where you posted this same question too. Some of those "helpful" comments would never pass a plumbing inspection.
    The answers you get here are meant to make a plumbing inspector happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I saw where you posted this same question too. Some of those "helpful" comments would never pass a plumbing inspection.
    The answers you get here are meant to make a plumbing inspector happy.
    Yes I did post this identical question on two other forums. Are you saying some of the comments others put there I should send to the recycle bin?

Anyway tell me if this is up to par or at least a bogey :
    Last edited by Hammerlane; 10-27-2011 at 03:46 AM.