Direct Vent Stove Install/Ansi Rating

Users who are viewing this thread

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
I have a used Free Standing Gas Stove that I'm looking to install in my basement. I spoke to the inspector on the phone today asking about permits needed and during the conversation he asked if the stove was UL certified or if it has a ANSI or ASTM rating. I didn't have the info at the time but this evening I looked and noticed that the manual says that it is tested and listed to ANSI Z21.88-1998. Does anyone know if the fact that it was tested to an older ANSI standard might cause problems with the inspection? I have to assume that it's not completely uncommon to have an older stove/furnace installed. I realize I'll have to talk to the inspector again before I hook it up, but any feedback is appreciated. Just want to get all of my ducks in a row before moving forward with the install.

mhaxim

Reaction score
Website
www.bestwoodstoves.org
I believe there is only a few difference in terms of the standards of UL and ANSI so you should be fine. They are just after the new standards when they call of course. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks