Homes for visa and Gadhafi

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Lots in the news today.

A proposal to give US visas in exchange for buying a home.

I say bring it on!

And Gadhafi's demise. England did all the heavy lifting while America sat on its hands.

Mission Accomplished. And on time.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lots in the news today.

A proposal to give US visas in exchange for buying a home.

I say bring it on!

And Gadhafi's demise. England did all the heavy lifting while America sat on its hands.

Mission Accomplished. And on time.

Hip hip Hooray for England (translation= PHOOIE!) And with him gone, lets see if it will be a democracy, and keep out terrorism and maybe even let the Jews return and practice their religion in Libya. Yeah, right!

FURNERS buy houses for $500K cash no mortgage allowed, get Visa. sounds like a win win situation. If things get too bad here, we just nationalize those properties I guess?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, you spotted my concern.

Cash buyers only?

That is crazy.

Everyone owning a mortgage on an American property should be allowed to stay here.

Else, if they lose their visa and have to go they'll leave the key in the door and that helps no-one.

I personally like the idea of foreigners purchasing American property. The English did lose the battle of Independence. But we can win the war if we buy up enough of the place.

Assuming the Chinese do not beat us to it. Statistically, most foreign-owned properties in America are now Asian-owned.

On a serious note, I am always impressed with countries that allow foreigners to own property and land.

It demonstrates openess.

It can be a sensitive issue even for foreigners to lease in some parts of the world.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, you spotted my concern.

Cash buyers only?

That is crazy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/visa-house-real-estate_n_1021582.html

The legislation would create a new homeowner visa that would be renewable every three years, but the proposal would not put them on a path to citizenship. To be eligible, a person would have to buy a primary residence of at least $250,000 and spend a total of $500,000 on residential real estate. The other properties could be rented.

The program would come with several restrictions.

The purchase would have to be in cash, with no mortgage or home equity loan allowed. And the property would have to be bought for more than its most recent appraised value, Schumer said.

The buyer would have to live in the home for at least 180 days each year, which would require paying U.S. income taxes on any foreign earnings. Buyers would no longer be eligible for the temporary visa if the property were sold.

The buyer would be able to bring a spouse and minor children to live in the U.S. but would need to apply for a work visa to hold a job. Neither the buyer nor dependents would be eligible to receive Medicaid, Medicare or Social Security benefits.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
How is it that America manages to muck up every good idea that comes its way?

The Jobs Bill has just been shot down as well.

It's disgusting.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Why do you think the Indians own every motel and convience store in the US? The program is already in place.

And it was Quatar that sent much of the bombs and now want a piece of Libya. The English did squat. There will be a new revolution soon.

We'll let the redcoats fix that one alone.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Why do you think the Indians own every motel and convience store in the US? The program is already in place.

And it was Quatar that sent much of the bombs and now want a piece of Libya. The English did squat. There will be a new revolution soon.

We'll let the redcoats fix that one alone.

Even american squirrels are tougher than British ones.

We all need to get together and vaporize the Iran military.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Look, America is just wasting its time with this fearmongering.

As CO2 emissions continue to head for 1000ppm, we're all (Americans) risking death by 2100 and (Americans) certainly struggling by 2050, with big global impacts (Africa, South America etc.) by 2020 putting a lot of stress on the system (food prices, migration etc.).

The reforms needed are huge, and to have any chance of avoiding catastrophe we must start to act in the next 1-2 years to have any reasonable prospect of stabilizing carbon emissions and then reducing them.

Most Americans don't understand the threat, and keep looking to the Middle East for the next boogie-man.

Well, it's BS. Climate change is going to kill Americans, not terrorists.

My generation might just make it, but boy are my kids going to suffer in a world with climate problems America has largely created for them.

We need to throw everything we have got at climate change, not Iran.

That means cars with 60mpg minimum. No new coal power unless the carbon is captured. Planting lots and lots of trees. Nuclear, solar and wind power. Energy saving installations on homes. And taxing carbon - big time. And it needs to be done quick.

Adpatation is not going to work - the human suffering would be immense. Nor will technology because we have to start the process of carbon reduction now, with the technologies we have now.

This is your warning. But you're all too greedy to listen.

We are poisoning our world with this invisible gas. A deadly invisible blanket.

If the permafrost melts, all bets are off - just start digging (your grave).

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Lately the brains predict an ice age as likely as warming. The warming causing ocean current changes that bring on the little ice age that the world has seen many times. Its very small minded to think our hundred years of oil burning is so very important.

Asteroids, volcanoes, viruses will kill us long before anything else. Or the Chinese or Iranian maniacs.

Gore is a bore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks