Splicing 8 gauge NM cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

strat81

Reaction score
I need to move a double pole, 60 A breaker in my panel (controls the heat elements in my furnace) to another location inside the same panel to install an interlock. Running a new length of cable is a no-go as it terminates in the nether region of the furnace that is not accessible. The cable has a black jacket, looks to be 8ga, three conductor plus ground (I haven't poked my head up there to read the jacket yet).

How do I go about doing this? Is it as simple as adding another 2-3 feet of cable at the panel and connecting the ends with some wire nuts inside an accessible junction box? If so, any tips?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
It should be 6 awg copper and yes using the proper size wire nut in the proper enclosure will be fine for extending the circuit

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks