Elbow joint on CI pipe (kitchen sink) -- odd angle?

Users who are viewing this thread

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Hi there,

Here is a picture of the drain's current hook-up in our kitchen sink.

I have been wondering--if it is a good hook-up.

Kitchen sink - CI elbow joint.jpg

The reason is that

1. The CI elbow is a 45 degree elbow. Is that a correct elbow--or should it be a 90 degree elbow?

2. And then the extension used by the installer is a flexible plastic pipe. That turn is also an odd turn. Perhaps it's due to the 45 degree CI elbow joint.

I wonder if there is a better way this can be done, like

- changing the CI elbow to a 90 degree, or
- just make a cut on the CI pipe before the elbow, do a coupling to change out to plastics, and make a 90 degree turn

BTW, is the CI elbow joint a lead joint?

Thx... .

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I wonder if there is a better way this can be done, like

What an abortion. A better question would be, "Is there any way it could have been done WORSE?" The 45 IS the correct turn, but everything ahead of it is WRONG. IF the pipe from the disposer to the tee flows DOWNHILL, then it is a simple matter of cutting off the trap's outlet tube and positioning the trap UNDER the tee. Then cut an "extension tube" to size and place it between the trap and the tee.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That flex pipe is disaster waiting to happen as well. Just because a store sells them doesn't make them acceptable. Your question tells me that you have zero knowledge about how do connect a drain. My best advice to you is to call a plumber to redo this mess properly.

K9mlxj

Reaction score
That connection was done by whoever hired by the seller to fix things up before selling the property to me 10 years back. And the property inspector didn't raise any red flags (this tells me how much I can trust them).

I am a new DIYer. Definitely have no knowledge about codes. That's why I come here to ask. If this forum isn't for newbies let me know... .

The fix shouldn't be difficult to do. Just need to know what the right way is.

So now that I know the 45 deg. elbow is correct.

I thought the person did that because the p-trap's outlet to the CI elbow's distance was too long to get a pipe to work with and hence this really odd setup.

I'm going to try to remove that flexible plastic extension and replace with a straight rigid extension and see if I can get that crown from the plastic pipe coming from the CI to meet the p-trap's outlet. I just realize there's a 45 degree plastic elbow in the store so looks like that should take care of the odd turn from this current setup... .

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shorten the trap arm and swing the trap to get rid of the offset. I would get rid of the entire set up and redo it with glued fittings though. Garburators tend to loosen those connections with the vibrations over time.

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Replaced the flexible extension with a rigid one. Looks better now.

Kitchen sink - p-trap - fixed.jpg

BTW, another newbie question... :

Is this the right way to hook up the p-trap outlet to the CI elbow (slip joint)?

Kitchen sink - CI elbow - close-up.jpg

What'd be the right way if this is not?

Thx... .

Last edited:

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Shorten the trap arm and swing the trap...

Shortened the p-trap's outlet arm a bit further so it won't protrude to the left front (a bit more room now in that area... ).

No idea why the installer had that flexible extension like that in such an odd way. Anyway, should look ok now?

Kitchen Sink - P-trap  short outlet.jpg

Assuming that the outlet arm's slip-joint to the CI elbow joint is good. Looks like there's an adapter right there so to match up to connect to the slip-joint (2nd pic in previous post)... . Metal thread to the plastic slip-joint's nut is ok?

Let me know if anyone spots anything else not right... .

Thx... .

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I thought the person did that because the p-trap's outlet to the CI elbow's distance was too long to get a pipe to work with and hence this really odd setup.

That was becauses whoever installed it must not have known how to cut off the trap, the way you did. My only changes would have been to use a metal slip nut on the 'trap adapter" instead of a plastic one, and eliminate that double slip joint coupling and use conventional long extension pieces like the one you used between the trap and the tee.

Last edited:

K9mlxj

Reaction score
whoever installed it must not have known how to cut off the trap

Possibly so. Or perhaps the person forgot to bring his saw and he was in a hurry. The whole kitchen counter cabinets and the sink were installed just before the sale of the property. In fact the installer didn't even set up electrical connection for the sink disposer(!) and I had to bug my real estate agent to get that set up... .

Anyway thx so much everyone--got another plumbing issue taken care of... . :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks