Slow drain - is my vent the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

thatgirl2478

Reaction score
I bought a house in July - never noticed that the laundry sink drained into the floor drain.

Existing in the room was a plumbing configuration that looked kind of like an upside down T with the top of the T opening under the laundry sink & emptying in the floor (connected to the floor drain). The stem of the T is a vertical pipe which is open to the room, but has an s trap in it about half way up (the pipe is probably 4 ft in length).

I had a plumber come in and hook up the sink to the open end that was under the sink already. So the connections are : sink --- open pipe --- out to main.

Questions:

Is the open pipe acting as the vent on this drain line? If so a) it probably shouldn't be venting into the room (duh) and b) is the s trap in the pipe correct and c) could that trap be what's slowing down the draining of the sink?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

IF the sink is draining INTO the floor drain, then it does not matter whether it has a vent or a trap, or not. BUT, HOW it connects to the floor drain could be important. As far as the piping under the sink, YOU think you are describing it properly because you can see it. We CANNOT see it so we are almost completely in the dark as to what you are describing. A picture would help, but I doubt that the piping under the sink has anything to do with a slow draining, given what you have described.

thatgirl2478

Reaction score
I will try to get a photo.

It's no longer draining directly into the floor drain - the plumber fixed that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks