Faucet / toilet supply risers and stop valve preferences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stu27

Reaction score
I have a few final details remaining to finish up my master bathroom remodel. Faucet / toilet risers and stop valves come in several varieties and I'm wondering if there is a clear preference in the trade for one type over another. I have the following options available to me at the store:

risers: chrome plated copper tube, pex tube, or braided hose (both steel braid and polymer braid). Is one riser type preferred over another? I was leaning toward the copper thinking it's stronger and that once it's installed you'd rarely need to mess with it.

stop valves: sweat, compression, or push-connect (aka shark-bite). Is one stop-valve type preferred over another? I was leaning toward the compression stop valve because I'm concerned about the possibility of loosening the joint just behind the sheetrock in the soldering process and I don't know much about the push-connect valve's reliability (compression and sweat valves have been around and working reliably much longer).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many faucets come with their supply lines already attached, so you may not need to address that. I'd use 1/4-turn, compression stops.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ask a dozen plumbers and you will get two dozen different preferences. Good theory about the solid copper, but that takes a little more skill, often need an expensive tube bender, etc. And it can be knocked out of wack by an errant vacuum cleaner, etc! I lean towards the polymer braided myself, but that is just me. Everyone has their fav.

I suggest compression valves. Others will say threaded or sweat.

solid-riser-to-toilet-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks