slurp/suck noise after turning off faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

brittsi

Reaction score
Whenever we have a shower/bath - it seems like for a good 20 minutes afterwards, these (gurgle) noises continue from the pipes in the bathroom. Only from the shower/bath - never from the sink.

We just bought this house a little less than a month ago. The noise isn't loud, just annoying enough to wonder if something might be waiting to burst!

I recall at the previous house we lived in, a similar noise occurred, and once the faucet was changed, the noise was gone.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks...

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Sounds like a sluggish drain situation to me, although it could be the vent partially clogged, too.
Try cleaning the drain pipe out with a good enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare (available at big boxes, hardware stores, etc.). It won't harm the tub/shower finish or the pipes, and it will eat out all of the organic hair and gunk overnight. (Do NOT use a caustic-type drain cleaner, such as Drano, for just a sluggish drain.) If it still gurgles, you may need to do the DrainCare treatment more than once.
You just run warm water down the drain, pour DrainCare down it according to the directions and let it eat overnight. Then flush it out with VERY hot water the next morning. I start with a kettle full of boiling water, and then run the hot water from the tub spout to flush it all down.)
Good Luck!
Mike

brittsi

Reaction score
thank you...

I will try as you suggested with the enzyme-based drain cleaner ... and the very hot water. The tub seems to drain at a normal rate, so this would be an issue further down the drain pipe then, I suppose -right? Ok, thanks! I appreciate the both of you responding to my dilema -

I will let you know the results! Thanks a million!

brittsi

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
slurp

Magic.

Know the TV commerical where the lady calls the plumber and he cleans the drain? And he tries to sneak out of the house with a bottle behind his back?

People are suckers for something easy. May not work, but if everybody tries it just once, then thats what an add will do.

There is only one way to clean a drain and that is to use the right equiptment for the particular job.

Get it over with and do it the right way.

No Brooklyn bridges...

xerodoc

Reaction score
Noises

Just a thought, might be similar to the noises I get after a shower. The water from the shower head pipes is draining back through the tub faucet very slowly. I keep my shower /tub diverter valve mid position to release any water that has built up in the pipes. If I dont do this I get all sorts of sucking noises. Hope this helps!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks