Iron Removal Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jlbartley

Reaction score
This is probably less of a water softener question and a little bit more of a water treatment question. We've had our water lab tested and the results came back that we don't technically need to treat it with anything but the water when coming out of the bath faucets into the bathtubs appears a rusty color. I'm assuming this is iron. It also builds up in the toilets. We had it tested for iron but it came back at a level not requiring treatment but we'd like to treat it to remove the color.

Here are the results from the water test
Harndess 164 mg/l CaCO3
Alkalinity 176 mg/l CaCO3
Conductivity 336 umhos/cm
pH 8.05 std units
Saturation Index 0.1 Corrosivity Balanced
Nitrogen-Nitrate/Nitrite 6.5 mg/l N
Chloride 14.2 mg/l
Iron 0.148 mg/l

According to the infomration sent back from the lab nothing here requires treatment. We would just like to reduce the appearance of the rust colored water. Everything about the water tastes and smells fine. We would like to treat this ideally without softening the water. The water is not naturally hard and would prefer not to soften it further unless this is the only way to remove the buildup of the iron. Would love to hear your thoughs on our options. It seems like something like an iron curtain might be overkill.

Thanks for your help!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
At 164 mg/l, that is 9.59 gpg which is hard water. The scale for hardness is less that 1 to 10.5 gpg. If you don't want a softener and just want to take care of the iron, I would suggest a BIRM filter. BIRM stands for best iron removal media.

jlbartley

Reaction score
Thank you for that information. I hadn't really realized that this was hard until I looked further after your comment. The information that I recieved from the lab stated that 150 mg/l CaCO3 was ideal with 200 mg/l requiring treatment. Would you normally recommend that we do install a softener for this? The water does not feel overly hard to us although we are experiencing a bit of buildup in our shower heads, etc.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The numbers the lab provided is ideal for a pool or a spa but not your house water. A water softener will take care of the hardness and the iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks