(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Gurgling and clogged toilet?

Hybrid View

Red face Gurgling and clogged toilet?

About a week ago my toilet started gurgling while I was in the shower. That night it overflowed twice and then when it stopped, all the water in the bowl disapeared. Then it started acting normal for a few hours. The next day it started acting back up.

If I am taking a shower, the toilet gurgles and fills with water. It doesn't stop and will overflow, unless I shut off the shower or the water to the toilet. If the washer or dishwasher is running and you flush the toilet the bowl doesn't flush, it fills with water to the top of the bowl.

Any ideas?

annmar414 do you have a septic tank? If so your tank might need to be pumped out. If you don't sounds like you have a clog in you main sewer pipe.

Nope, no septic tank. We are on the city water system.

Default slurp

You have a plugged sewer.......

Are you taking your shower in a tub? Does the water level in the tub get up to the overflow level of the toilet? This sounds strange to me. RW

Default yuck to "slurp"! lol...

sounds like the clog is in the main line after the points where the shower and toilet are joined into it... this would explain why your toilet overflows when you're showering. You need that drain cleared and soon! I'm surprised you didn't call a plumber immediately when this problem first reared its ugly head