1920's shower mixer - American Standard Re Nu ? B201 or B202

Users who are viewing this thread

336flyerfan

Reaction score
Hi, may I have a diagram of this shower faucet? I replaced washers and put all together but looks like not correct, water drips from shower head and handle turns in different direction. I made washers from robber from Home Depot. May be there are originals still somewhere available? I love this old shower and would like to have it yet here for a few more years. I asked a plumber to help me to put it together, he asked me to get a new repair kit, I think he asked me to buy another one somewhere. It is possible to get it yet?

The stem to this valve is double threaded...it is easy to mis align the threads which will cause it not to close all the way. First insert the sleeves and plungers into the valve body. Then place the stem on top and turn to the right until you can screw down the cover plate - the valve will be in a half open position. Make sure to use silicon grease on the stem and plungers/sleeves.

You can get the rubber washers in the Danco variety washers pack at Lowes..they are 5/8 for B201. You may also need to shim the rubber washers with a metal washer from this pack if you valve has a lot of wear on it...this may take some playing around and it is helpful to turn off either just the hot or cold side to determine which one needs to be shimmed. THe rubber washers may also take a few weeks to seat.

pcrudolph

Reaction score
I also have one of these valves that needs new plungers. This thread helped me identify the valve I have; thanks to all, and especially to 336flyersfan for the tip about Barry Walters Sr. Co! I have just emailed them; hopefully they can still provide these.

Can anyone provide more details about the difference between the B-201 and B-202? Coarse vs fine threads on the plungers, how fine or coarse? Mine appears identical to the one pictured earlier in this thread (the post from Jan 2, 2014); is the one pictured there a B-201 or B-202?

Thanks!

336flyerfan

Reaction score
I also have one of these valves that needs new plungers. This thread helped me identify the valve I have; thanks to all, and especially to 336flyersfan for the tip about Barry Walters Sr. Co! I have just emailed them; hopefully they can still provide these.

Can anyone provide more details about the difference between the B-201 and B-202? Coarse vs fine threads on the plungers, how fine or coarse? Mine appears identical to the one pictured earlier in this thread (the post from Jan 2, 2014); is the one pictured there a B-201 or B-202?

Thanks!
The one in the picture above has fine threads...you’ll also notice that the stem has a fine thread. The 1/2” valve is course thread and the 3/4” valve is fine thread from what I’ve seen over the years. On the plungers, the course one only has 2 rows of threads.

pcrudolph

Reaction score
Mine has fine threads just like the one in the picture. From what I've learned, the fine thread is on the B202 valve, and coarse thread is on the B201, correct?

(I also contacted Barry Walters Co.; the coarse-thread plunger is now in their catalog, but they've never made the fine-thread plunger. I'm talking with them about sending my plungers to them as samples for them to duplicate.)

336flyerfan

Reaction score
Mine has fine threads just like the one in the picture. From what I've learned, the fine thread is on the B202 valve, and coarse thread is on the B201, correct?

(I also contacted Barry Walters Co.; the coarse-thread plunger is now in their catalog, but they've never made the fine-thread plunger. I'm talking with them about sending my plungers to them as samples for them to duplicate.)
Yes...you are correct. Barry had replicated plungers from my set for B201. I had looked for years to find a replacement set for my main and only shower. The great folks at Hippo Hardware directed me over to Barry’s company.

Blue_Bleeder

Reaction score
Website
barrywalter.com
As a manufacturer we typically sell to wholesalers and repackagers, not retail but we are always here to help identify and "hook you up" with one of our customers to get you the parts you need. If we can't find you a wholesaler to get you the parts you are looking for, we will find a way to help. If you email helpdesk@barrywalter.com, that will be the fastest way to get eyes on your part to identify them. Let me know if there is any way we can be of service to you.

pcrudolph

Reaction score
Just a late addition to this thread: Barry Walter Sr. Co. recently made a fantastic set of replacement plungers to fit our B202 valve, duplicating the old ones that we had sent to them. (These are the fine-thread plungers, as opposed to the coarse-thread plungers used in the B201). The company was great to work with, and the price was very reasonable (especially compared with our other option, which was to tear open the wall and replace the whole valve). If anyone else out there has one of these valves and needs new plungers, now there is a source for them.

nate78

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to reassemble a b-202 shower mixer and I am wondering about the how the chokes go in. Specifically the cold side had to be unscrewed from within the valve body, i.e. taken out of the wall. Obviously this is the only way that I can get the choke to go back in, which seems counterintuitive for future maintenance. Does this seem correct? To need to unscrew the choke from the plunger from inside the valve body? Thanks for any advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks