1920's shower mixer - American Standard Re Nu ? B201 or B202

Users who are viewing this thread

Dradprice3

Reaction score
I have what i believe is an american standard shower mixer. I think its a re -nu standard but cant find any info or pics of this despite searching on Google extensively.
initially it was leaking as the brass screw that hold the front plate on had corroded away. Replaced them and the gaskets with neoprene but when i reassembled i have a drip from the shower. The gaskets seem to be part of the two moving slides that are in the bores on each side. one is conical the other (hot?) has a bulb on the end.

Can anyone confirm the type of mixer and details on the gaskets. I dont want to pry them out as i will probably damage the worse than the little drip I have.

Any help gratefully received.

Adrian

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Untitled-1 copy.jpgUntitled-2 copy.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Brown's Partsmaster (www.BPIsite.com) should be able to help, although, if you have the old ones, and they are really "O" rings, (which I doubt since I do not think there were O rings in the 20a), any good hardware store should have them. Use the part number on the breakdown I sent and you will get the correct part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dradprice3

Reaction score
Thanks. They weren't o rings but washers. I didn't realize the chokes unscrewed per the diagram. Thanks to you two 1920s showers are once again operational! Thanks!

Gwillie

Systems engineer
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and want to mention that I operate two of these old American Standard Shower valves installed in 1930. I have resealed them several times and never realized what a big deal finding new seals was. I made my own with a gasket cutter, and a drill press to turn down the washers to size.

The valves work great and until the pitting corrosion on the shaft creates a permanent leak, they will probably outlive me. My local plumbing supply probably sees two similar units a week for parts. Many folks are so attached to their old fixtures around this area that they contract to metal spray the shafts and turn them back to size. Overkill to be sure but perhaps a sense of satisfaction is gained. Thanks for showing the pictures since the diagrams seem to be fading into obscurity.

Gwillie

margox

Reaction score
Re-Nu Shower Mixing Valve

Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.

I believe I have the same vintage American Standard Re Nu mixing valve on a shower. It appears it has failed because I can only get lukewarm water in the shower. Water is nice and hot in adjacent sink. Do you know where I could get one of the above model mixing valves? So far, I have been told the parts were discontinued a long time ago.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could certainly get lucky, but how many things 80-90 years old are there still repair parts available for? Sometimes it's hard to find some for 10-year old stuff (the limit car parts are required to be available, but since they often get reused, newer model years still use them thus extending their availability).

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? :) Or are you just organized?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? :) Or are you just organized?

John.... as an apprentice plumber in the '20s, hj installed some of those valves!. He has been smart enough over the years to save the paperwork!!!

336flyerfan

Reaction score
B201 Standard Mixing Valve

Help!!!!

I'm in desperate need of the cold plunger that goes with this valve. I have checked all over metro detroit to no avail. From my understanding, this part has been long out of production. I've been able to find two hot plungers, but, nobody has the cold side. Does anybody know where I can find one? Please email me Rclevel2@me.com

Last edited:

jimmyp

Reaction score
been inside several times and always have trouble getting it back together correctly...
any chance of getting a copy of the diagram?.. Is there a trick as to how you set the plumbers??? Out? In?

also are these valves supposed to be a positive shut off or simply act as a mixing valve?

any input you could give would be greatly appreciated....www.crzyftblhd@yahoo.com

Pumpguy1

Reaction score
Hi "hj",
I too am looking to repair my ancient "Standard" shower. The pics posted at the start of this thread look identical to my shower. If you would be so kind, please send me a parts diagram to steveetzel@yahoo.com. Thank you!

dersh16

Reaction score
Ihave this same mixer and need replacement washers. What position should the plungers be in when putting it all back together Thanks, Jack

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks