(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1920's shower mixer - American Standard Re Nu ? B201 or B202

Default 1920's shower mixer - American Standard Re Nu ? B201 or B202

I have what i believe is an american standard shower mixer. I think its a re -nu standard but cant find any info or pics of this despite searching on Google extensively.
    initially it was leaking as the brass screw that hold the front plate on had corroded away. Replaced them and the gaskets with neoprene but when i reassembled i have a drip from the shower. The gaskets seem to be part of the two moving slides that are in the bores on each side. one is conical the other (hot?) has a bulb on the end.

Can anyone confirm the type of mixer and details on the gaskets. I dont want to pry them out as i will probably damage the worse than the little drip I have.

Any help gratefully received.

Adrian

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  57.8 KBName:  Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  65.2 KB

Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

many thanks this is helpful!
    Last edited by dradprice3; 11-05-2011 at 06:47 AM.

anyone aware of a source for the o rings for these mixers?

Brown's Partsmaster (www.BPIsite.com) should be able to help, although, if you have the old ones, and they are really "O" rings, (which I doubt since I do not think there were O rings in the 20a), any good hardware store should have them. Use the part number on the breakdown I sent and you will get the correct part.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks. They weren't o rings but washers. I didn't realize the chokes unscrewed per the diagram. Thanks to you two 1920s showers are once again operational! Thanks!

I am new to the forum and want to mention that I operate two of these old American Standard Shower valves installed in 1930. I have resealed them several times and never realized what a big deal finding new seals was. I made my own with a gasket cutter, and a drill press to turn down the washers to size.

The valves work great and until the pitting corrosion on the shaft creates a permanent leak, they will probably outlive me. My local plumbing supply probably sees two similar units a week for parts. Many folks are so attached to their old fixtures around this area that they contract to metal spray the shafts and turn them back to size. Overkill to be sure but perhaps a sense of satisfaction is gained. Thanks for showing the pictures since the diagrams seem to be fading into obscurity.

Gwillie

Default Re-Nu Shower Mixing Valve

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Your valve is model B201 or B202 with washer joint sleeves or K-100R with ground joint sleeves. With an e-mail address, I could send a parts diagram.
    I believe I have the same vintage American Standard Re Nu mixing valve on a shower. It appears it has failed because I can only get lukewarm water in the shower. Water is nice and hot in adjacent sink. Do you know where I could get one of the above model mixing valves? So far, I have been told the parts were discontinued a long time ago.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You could certainly get lucky, but how many things 80-90 years old are there still repair parts available for? Sometimes it's hard to find some for 10-year old stuff (the limit car parts are required to be available, but since they often get reused, newer model years still use them thus extending their availability).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have one of these and need a parts diagram if somebody could send me one. joshodoner@gmail.com.

Thanks.

I also have a model b201 or a b202 1920's shower mixer. can you please send me a parts diagram and where i can possibly order parts? waltermartzen@gmail.com

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? Or are you just organized?

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    How do you know this so well. For years i have read your posts specifying exact parts and models. Do you have a photograhic memory? Or are you just organized?
    John.... as an apprentice plumber in the '20s, hj installed some of those valves!. He has been smart enough over the years to save the paperwork!!!

quote; as an apprentice plumber in the '20s

You overestimate my abilities. My dad didn't let me start working on them until the 50's.

I was wondering if you might have a diagram of a renu mixer with the shower jets if you could please let me know waltermartzen@gmail.com thank you