Torque Arrestor or Not?

Users who are viewing this thread

chewy864

Reaction score
I am about to drop my well pump and saw something about a torque arrestor. I have been reading the threads but I am still unclear if it is good or bad. I am concerned about pulling the pump, if need be, and getting caught on the pitlell adapter. I have a Franklin pump-3phase 2hp pump w/ 2HP motor. It is supposed to do well in sandy conditions...We have that here in SW Wyo. I have a control box in the basement next to the pressure tank(80gal). I had the pump pulled last summer when we stopped getting water(the well silted in). We replaced the Galvanized pipe with 1 1/4" Black Poly Pipe so my wife and I can pull it in the future if need be. I am concerned about how much torque will be placed on the poly pipe and how long before it cracks or breaks. The poly pipe is secure to an adapter with barbed end and 2 hose clamps then threaded into the pump. The same with the pitless adapter. The pump is held up off the bottom by steel wire secured above ground. The wires will be taped every 10'.
Thank you,
Chewy

Type of pump?-FPS4400
Submersible
Four wire w/ control box(red,green,yellow,black)
Wire Size- 12 AWG Wire Length-225'-235'

One pipe down the well

Size of Pump?-2HP
Motor Horsepower?-2HP
Pump Model #25FA2S4-PE
Date Pump Installed-10/15/2011-10/30/2011

Pumping from?
Water Well
Depth of well-220'
Depth to water-110'
Pump Setting-@200'
Pipe Size-1 1/4"
Drop Pipe Material
Poly (Black)

Well Recovery Rate-unknown gpm
Well Casing Diameter-6"id
Rock Well__________ Sand Well__________ Other-All of the above!
Date Well Drilled-@08/2008

Well Casing Material
PVC

Pressure Tank?-Yes
Bladder or diaphragm tank (one pipe to tank)
Size or model of tank-80 Gal
Air charge in top of tank, with pump off and water drained-29-30PSI

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 30, off 50 -this sounds right,(by memory)
On 40, off 60_________

Pump Control Method?-Not sure
Cycle Stop Valve model #_________
Variable speed control #__________
Pump Start Relay (sprinkler timer, no tank)__________
Manually turned on and off____________

Pump Protection-Not Sure
Cycle Sensor_________
Pumptec_____________
Low pressure cutoff switch (lever on side)__________
Other_______________

Filters or Softeners______________
Before or after pressure tank_______
Type of filter-I would like a filter before the pressure tank but not sure what to get!
Bypass available________________

Water Used For?
House Use-Yes 2-Horses Number of baths-2 full Number of People-3
High Flow Showers-No (energy savers) gpm?-Unkown
Plus/Or
Irrigation with timers________
Irrigation with hoses________
Heat Pump______gpm?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The naysayers are concerned that the torque arrester may jam up in the casing making it hard to pull the pump. I think with a 6" casing and steel wire, the chances of not being able to pull the pump are less. I'd be worried about a 2 HP pump thrashing about hung on poly and even if it didn't break the pipe, it might chafe it or the wire.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
"torque arrestor" = bad joke, putting dissolved [dissolving] rubber into well and doing nothing.

Stand offs make perfect sense, [about all a TA can possibly be] and can even be just a million zip ties on the wire to pipe, over length.

A torque arrestor would need a hose to INFLATE it, if it were to work at all.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The TAs available around here have a bit of a weakness where they attach to the pipe probably because of an attempt to make them a universal fit. When I pulled my 12 year old pump the TA got torn up on the way out, probably from fatigue failure but I attributed it to the fact I clamped it to 1" poly which distorted it. I think they fit best on 1 - 1/5" poly so when I installed a new TA, I sleeved out the poly for a better fit and double clamped it where the rubber was more substantial.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks