can i tile over tile in a stand up shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephnej

Reaction score
Hello, first time user. what is the best way to tile a stand up shower (no tub)? I am leaving the existing shower pan and tile on the floor, but I want to take off old tile on walls. should I take off old tile on the walls or should I leave it? also not sure if I need to replace the shower pan? can i tile over tile?need some good advise.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi,

It's usually best to tear out the entire shower right down to the subfloor and to the wall studs. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do all that work and not replace the shower pan. :)

Stephnej

Reaction score
Thanks, but I did not want to get into replacing a shower pan, 1 because I don't have the experience and 2 seems complicated. however I can learn anything. my question is, can I tile over tile? Example, take down tile from walls leaving the tile on the floor of the shower and tiling over it. this way the tile on floor and walls will match. what do you think?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't realize that the Premier tile website in the whole country is johnbridge.com, and Mr. Bridge himself has offered his advice to you.

First, I recommend you click his link to visit the site. There is a tremendous wealth of information there. In addition, www.tileusa.com if the website for the Tile Council of America, the industry organization. They also offer a wealth of information on line and through inexpensive publications.

Now, there is a reason why I or Mr. Bridge or any other professionals who lurk around these forums are reluctant to suggest that you could do what you are asking. A shower is a big construction project that realistically should be a committment for the next 20 years. Also, a minor failure in the watertight construction can lead to latent damage which if you have not read about the horror stories, do a search on mold or rot.

It's not that it is improper to tile over tile. You will read in the various references I have cited that under the right circumstances it is in fact doable. It's just that a shower is made up of the substructure which is equally important as the tile itself. And sometimes a 'patch' job just is not the right thing.

So, above all, read the literature. Make yourself the most educated person on your block about tile showers! Then you can proceed with confidence.

Tommy Z

Reaction score
Showers

I have firerglass stand up shower that is 30 years old. Wondering how hard is it to remove the ancient on an install a new on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks