Slower Setting Cement for PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Anybody make a slower setting cement for PVC.
The last time I worked with setting my schedule 40, the cement *tacked* up pretty quick.
I'm tapping into one area in which it's a tight fit and I may need to play with the angles a bit...

Took a quick browse on Oateys site and did not see any cement that was listed as slower setting.
Does such a cement exist

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I'm tapping into one area in which it's a tight fit and I may need to play with the angles a bit...
I have been in that kind of situation, and that can be tough. If you have enough room and a bit of flex somewhere to be confident about being able to force the fitting into place, just chamfer all the edges of the pipe/s well and then use *plenty* of cement to help lube the fitting into place.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A heavy body grey pipe cement made for large fittings, 2" to 12" will give you time. I use it ONLY, for all pipe. Coast hardware sells it online cheap in quarts. triple work the primer in .

the clear low voc crap from home stores is bad stuff.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Aren't you in CA where everything has to be lead free and low VOC ;-)

I have been stashing certain goodies that I fear will get phased out due to these voc laws....
paint ain't what is used to be .....

Oatey told me the same thing today however, they said the heavier cement will afford me a ~couple~ seconds more as in less than 10 seconds more. I suppose solvent is solvent. Once it evaporates - fuggadaboutit

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks