(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta monitor 17 series tub spout won't screw in adapter

Quote Originally Posted by aviator8 View Post
    Hi,
    I was really hoping this was a lock nut tub filler as they are so much easier to install. What I am trying to puzzle out is; How do you determine how far out to solder the adapter? ?
    The instructions give a range for the distance from the wall....this range is what makes it so user friendly. \
    For bobl you don't use plumbers grease on o-rings. Bad for the rubber. Silicone grease is called for, and for a one-time deal like a tub spout, soap won't hurt.

Plumbers grease is meant for metal parts, like stem threads,cloth-impregnated packing, bonnet threads, etc. It has been widely used as a general purpose lubricant, but in the "o-ring world" it is not appropriate.

Thanks Jimbo, I did not know that about plumbers grease. I guess then it is made from petroleum. And I thought all modern "rubber" items items are made from neoprene. Got to do some Googlin' now
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Jimbo, I got out my tube of Plumber's grease I obught at Ace hdwe a while back at at least "it" says it is OK for O-rings. I guess there is other plumber's grease and not all O-rings are safe? anyway some pics attached here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Sounds like you're just getting the resistance of the o-ring and are scared to turn it further to get it on. You have other spouts if this one is damaged. Screw it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumber111 View Post
    Sounds like you're just getting the resistance of the o-ring and are scared to turn it further to get it on. You have other spouts if this one is damaged. Screw it on.
    HEHEHEHEHE..... thats exactly what i was thinking! Ive installed thousands of those spouts, yes really thousands. I love them.. sometimes the first thread or 2 is actually tightening up the plastic assembly inside the spout and it seems like maybe its gonna break. But keep going. use 2 hands and turn it. It isnt a loose sloppy fit, its fairly snug so it takes a little effort to turn it. I usually turn the valve on before I set the spout up against the back wall so that i can see if the solder job and o ring are actually sealing. if they dont seal, water will spray backwards thru the hole in the tub wall and soak the area behind the wall.

It shouldnt take a wrench, but it will take a little effort to get it threaded on. and it usually gets a little easier after a few threads