(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacant home well issue

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Fecal coliform, anyway.

A few days before the test, you really need to do a complete chlorine flush with well recirc. You can still give that a try with a questionable result. Fllush it a looong time everywhere before the next test through the sink.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 10-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    At this point, it really does not matter what the water looks like. The only thing that matters is what the water test results are. If the well has been sitting for a long time the water will not be clear. It is pretty common that a well will need to be run for days to clear well. If the coliform test is bad, then you have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve
    Fecal coliform, anyway.

A few days before the test, you really need to do a complete chlorine flush with well recirc. You can still give that a try with a questionable result. Fllush it a looong time everywhere before the next test through the sink.
    Thanks both for the info. That is what I really wanted to know. The problem now is that I don't actually own the house yet (closing next month). So, I probably can't go run the water for a few days or do a chlorine flush with well recirculation. I'll tell the seller that I want them to do that for us before we move in. Then probably do it myself again once we close.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Have a clause put in the contract for the home sale. I would not buy the home until it has a known good well as proven by the well test. This is a common real estate clause that an agent will be familiar with.

The well test came back negative.

The water from the bibs was still colored when I went back to the house about a week after the inspection. Upon my realtor's advice, I had a plumber come out to look at things. The plumber suggested having someone pull the pump out and testing the line for high pressure leaks which could be stirring up mud. Do you think it would be worth it? The quote for doing that was $250.

whatever you do, i would suggest that the seller set money aside in escrow for the repairs if possible. i would allocate $500, enough to cover the $250 plus extra if anything else should come up.