Price Pfister OX-9 Shower valve identification. PP Avante

Users who are viewing this thread

dbos

Reaction score
Can anyone help me id this shower control. It is about 19 years old. Hardware is solid and well constructed. The rest of the house is Moen, so I expect it to be of similar quality.

The letters "SHWR" and the number 7105 or 7106 are cast on the mixing valve. I can't tell if it is 7105 or 7106.

It is difficult to pull out and push in the handle. I think I need to replace the cartridge if I can determine the manufacturer.

Thanks for you help

016 (640x480).jpg

021 (640x480).jpg
020 (640x480).jpg
019 (640x480).jpg
018 (640x480).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kait

Reaction score
Price Phister

I have the same issue. It appears to be a Price Phister from my research, but it should have a letter between SHWR and 7105. Mine is H7105 and I am not having any luck. If yours is an E, you are in luck. Go here: Part number appears to be S74-292 for the Price Phister E 7105.

pp_avante_valve.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you for an easy Christmas question...although if it was easy for you, you wouldn't have asked!

easy-jimbo.jpg

Yours is a Price Pfister OX-9 valve, and the cartridge is the avante Pfister part # 974-292. Any markings on the valve itself are seldom of any help in ID. A PP engineer might identify them, if you could find one. But fortunately for us ( any ) plumber, this is one of the most recognizable valves and cartridges. I won' say most common, simply because it was not in production for very many years, but anyone who works in an area where PP was used by builders has seen a billion of them! You remove it by using pliers to unscrew the outer ring cylinder, then using the pliers to pull SMARTLY on the stem, it just pulls out.

All the parts are readily available, including the handle and bowl escutcheon, possibly only in chrome, however. Danco may have them in brushed nickel.

Santa Claus ( aka hj) must have been out late delivering, or he would have been all over this question!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yesterday was a "recovering from milk and cookies" overload. People were supposed to be out visiting, NOT having plumbing problems. But, the Avante tub faucet was made for a LONG time, not just a few years, so there are millions of them in existence.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"long time" is a relative term, and the avante doesn't compare to the Moen Chateau and Delta 600. The avante was squeezed in between the early ceramic 'flowmatic' and finally the OX-8. But yes, in certain areas, they were ubiquitous for a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks