Changing height of toilet flange on cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

BigEd73

Reaction score
Hello. New here to this great site and happy to find it! I'm working on a '60s bathroom and have come across a problem that I need to address before going further. The room had a old tile mud job on the floor that I removed down to the original t&g subfloor. I going to add 3/4 plywood with 1/4 tile board then tile as the finished product. My problem is the toilet flange is to high and needs to be lowered about a 1/2". It's cast iron pipe with what looks like a cast iron flange that is leaded in. The flange itself is in good shape and the pipe's inner lining looks ok but not great as it is not smooth and looks gross and bumpy..lol:D.
What is the best way to lower the flange? I would like to avoid the leaded route if possible as I don't have the needed tools for this type of surgery. Many thanks in advance!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What is the best way to lower the flange? I would like to avoid the leaded route if possible as I don't have the needed tools

The best way is with a new cast iron flange, and a PLUMBER will have the necessary tools for this simple job.

BigEd73

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks. What is the best way to remove the flange to get it ready for installation? I may decide to attemp this task myself. Please describe the leaded process and describe what tools are needed. Can I melt the lead with map gas or propane?

BigEd73

Reaction score
Ok, I got the old flange off! That was painless:) I cut up the side with a recipicating saw and it popped right off. I'm off to get a new flange. Any tips on the lead process would be great, ie. how much lead , how much oakum(bad spelling maybe) . I beleive my Father has the ladel and the packing knife/tool from 40 years ago. I only have a propane torch and wondering if this will melt the lead. I'll post some pics once I begin.

BigEd73

Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply Will!! I could not find a cast iron flange at 3 supply houses near my home. One guy thought I was nuts wanting to redo the lead connection. I was prepared and actually wanted to do the lead connection but the guy at the last supply shop talked me into a pvc replacement. I went with a Oatly flange which looks a bit more durable than the push in type. I was sold on the expandable rubber ring with the 3 adjustment screws. Thanks again! Oatey toilet flange.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks