(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing height of toilet flange on cast iron

Default Changing height of toilet flange on cast iron

Hello. New here to this great site and happy to find it! I'm working on a '60s bathroom and have come across a problem that I need to address before going further. The room had a old tile mud job on the floor that I removed down to the original t&g subfloor. I going to add 3/4 plywood with 1/4 tile board then tile as the finished product. My problem is the toilet flange is to high and needs to be lowered about a 1/2". It's cast iron pipe with what looks like a cast iron flange that is leaded in. The flange itself is in good shape and the pipe's inner lining looks ok but not great as it is not smooth and looks gross and bumpy..lol.
    What is the best way to lower the flange? I would like to avoid the leaded route if possible as I don't have the needed tools for this type of surgery. Many thanks in advance!!

quote; What is the best way to lower the flange? I would like to avoid the leaded route if possible as I don't have the needed tools

The best way is with a new cast iron flange, and a PLUMBER will have the necessary tools for this simple job.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Ok, Thanks. What is the best way to remove the flange to get it ready for installation? I may decide to attemp this task myself. Please describe the leaded process and describe what tools are needed. Can I melt the lead with map gas or propane?

Ok, I got the old flange off! That was painless I cut up the side with a recipicating saw and it popped right off. I'm off to get a new flange. Any tips on the lead process would be great, ie. how much lead , how much oakum(bad spelling maybe) . I beleive my Father has the ladel and the packing knife/tool from 40 years ago. I only have a propane torch and wondering if this will melt the lead. I'll post some pics once I begin.

Plumbing Contractor Will Rogers Plumbing's Avatar

http://www.*******************/images...iron-white.jpg

Cut the Cast Iron with a grinder to the right height, then install that flange above. Make sure to secure it to the subfloor, as it is is a pretty weak connection.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma

http://www.willrogersplumbing.com/

Thanks for the Reply Will!! I could not find a cast iron flange at 3 supply houses near my home. One guy thought I was nuts wanting to redo the lead connection. I was prepared and actually wanted to do the lead connection but the guy at the last supply shop talked me into a pvc replacement. I went with a Oatly flange which looks a bit more durable than the push in type. I was sold on the expandable rubber ring with the 3 adjustment screws. Thanks again! Name:  Oatey toilet flange.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  5.5 KB
    Last edited by BigEd73; 10-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Plumbing Contractor Will Rogers Plumbing's Avatar

That will work too, just make sue you anchor it down. The expanding gasket is only a seal. The flange will need to be screwed to the sub floor or anchored to the concrete slab.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma

http://www.willrogersplumbing.com/