Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

MFfan310

Reaction score
As a newbie to this board, I'm planning on replacing my existing 3.5 gpf 1992-vintage Mansfield Alto toilet (guzzles water, lousy flushing) within the next month as part of a bathroom remodeling project. (The fact that water rates are going up around here also helped my decision.)

However, I could use some advice on which toilet to get. Right now, I'm looking at the Toto Drake ADA, the Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height, the American Standard Champion Right Height, and the Eljer Titan.
  • I've heard that the Toto flushes great.
  • I also have a friend in Southern California who loves her American Standard Champions.
  • On the other hand, I've heard about poor bowl wash on the Kohler and Eljer models as well as leaking Champion flush towers.
I'd love to know more soon. Flush away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Achutch

Reaction score
Go with the Toto Drake

I have had my Toto Drake for about a month. The previous toilet was the Kohler Cimarron, which was a poor rinser. To date, the Drake has worked better than anything that has ever been in my second floor bathroom in almost 20 years, and there have been many, including some old refurbished 5-gallon toilets, all of which either clogged or required double or triple flushes. My Toto Drake has been subjected to rigorous testing (Miserable Old Me, lots of paper and wet wipes, and the contributions from my two cats), and has showed no signs of failure. It also requires no more cleaning other than normal maintenance.

Up until I installed the Drake, the only toilets that work perfectly for me are the old style where the tank is bolted to the wall, the water is directed to the bowl via an elbow, and the trap in the bowl is to the front. Through sheer luck, I was able to get one of these (a 1936 "Standard" MODERNUS) in my first floor half-bath because the flange is further away from the wall than the usual 12-inches (also have 2 of them in my camp where water is free). The MODERNUS, I expect, uses 6-7 gallons of water, and the Drake performs just as well with 1.6. I fully expect to see my water bill drop, as the Drake gets the most use.

The Drake may be more expensive, but it is well worth the price.

Matt

Larry Barrett

Reaction score
Standard "Modernus"

My old Modernus toilet is cracked and I would like to replace it....the tank is fine...any idea's where to get one....thanks Larry

Achutch

Reaction score
"Standard" MODERNUS search

Glad you want to find a replacement bowl. The MODERNUS is my favorite of them all, and I have been fascinated by them since I was a kid, when there were lots of them around. I loved their noise (still do) and seeing the water shoot out of the jet into the drain. I don't know where you're writing from, but I would check with an architechural salvage house. That's where I found mine. They were all very dirty when I brought them home, but elbow grease, acidic cleanser and lots of disinfectant restored them to like new condition. I have 1 in use plus 2 cleaned up and tested 1930's MODERNUS bowls in storage, along with one of the later model bowls with same general shape, but a slightly wider base, larger triangular shaped water area, (as opposed to the pear (or head) shaped water spot in the original models) and only the word "Standard" in the area between the seat holes. I also have a few of the tanks stored away in my "Antique China Hutch". I only need to keep one of the original design bowls for a spare. Wished I knew how to get one of them to you. I need to start getting rid of my "China Collection" (I have lots of fun with these terms) and would let you have one of the originals. I'm located in Essex, Vermont.

Good luck with your search, and please keep us posted.

Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks