Pignose Washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kent10

Reaction score
Hi:

I am trying to fix a leak on an outdoor freeze proof faucet. I finally got the handle off after much trouble. The washer that is at the end of the stem is called a Pignose 0 and it has 6 slots on it to fit on the stem. I searched online and there isn't much information. It looks like it is an old type of washer that was popular in the 30's and 40's. I called the local Home Depot and other hardware stores and no one has even heard of the washer including the plumbers. Tomorrow when it is open I will try a plumbing supply store but in the mean time I was wondering if there is anything I can do if I can't find this washer. I am willing to order it online if it there somewhere. I tried a 00 flat washer because it fit but it is not tall enough to seal. If I can't find this washer will I have to replace the whole faucet or do you think just the stem will work. It looks like a 12 inch stem. Will another brand work. My guess is no but it would be great if it might.

Thanks for any help. Kent

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pignose is the brand name. That is a regular bevel ( as opposed to flat) faucet washer. HD has just about eliminated their selection of simple parts like this, but Ace Hardware or any plumbing supply will have a #0 bevel faucet washer. There are not any slots on it, however, so I don't know what that is all about. Do you have a pic of your stem and washer?

Kent10

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. I see what you mean. The Pignose washers this company sells don't have the slots around them like mine but otherwise they look the same I think. So I am not sure they would fit. I will try to get a pic of it. I put it back for the moment because we need the water at our house. Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Kent10

Reaction score
OK I have some pics. I wonder if those slots were there on the washer or if formed by forcing it in. But on the stem it does say Pignose 0. Also on the washer. Thanks.

Attachments

• PA099442.jpg
    PA099442.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 532
  • PA099443.jpg
    PA099443.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 508
  • PA099445 (Medium).jpg
    PA099445 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 524
  • PA099446 (Medium).jpg
    PA099446 (Medium).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 519
  • PA099447 (Medium).jpg
    PA099447 (Medium).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 523

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
As Jimbo said that's just a beveled #0 faucet washer.

John

Kent10

Reaction score
Thanks John. I just tried putting a 0 beveled washer in there and it was not possible to get it in. I really think the 6 slots were there originally on the washer. They aren't on the Pignose ones I linked to so those won't work any better than any other beveled 0. As you guys are saying these Pignose washers must just be a regular beveled 0 but a different brand. The size is the same. For now I put in a 00 beveled and now it is only leaking a little. I wonder if I can file down the bottom of the 0 beveled one to fit it in there. The washer has that lip around the bottom that I may be able to remove. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Kent10

Reaction score
Here is a close up of a stem with a washer on it. Mansfield like mine but mine is probably older. What kind of washer is that? I don't think it is the normal beveled. I managed to get the beveled 0 in there by trimming it at the bottom but it is still leaking but slowly. I will check again in the morning because it seems to be slowing but I still think it is the wrong washer. I am thinking about getting this stem just for the washer.

http://www.homefixitparts.com/plumbing/P2-21-196B.php?part=P2-21-196B&dept=Plumbing

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you replaced the washer and it continues to leak chances are the seat is bad and it may not be replaceable seat. You may have to replace the hose bib. Again that is not a special washer it is a standard beveled washer.

John

Kent10

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I tried the 00 and it was quite good but still with a slow leak. So I trimmed the 0 to make it fit and it was not as good as the 00 but better than the original. So as John said it may be the seat. The 00 that I used looked rough when I took it out so the seat may have damaged it or maybe I turned it too hard trying to get the leak to stop. I may try one more and not turn so hard. I talked to the guy who sells the blue Pignose brand and they are the same but softer rubber and so he recommended not to get those for a freeze proof.

Kent10

Reaction score
I did notice these Pignose washers that may be a little different from the standard beveled washer. At .225 thick I think they are not as thick as the standard 0 bevel. I guess I am still wondering if that original washer is somehow slightly different than the standard washers. Found it on this site http://www.rubbersales.com/Cat.asp?dept=FAUCET&index=FAUCET+WASHERS

Z-BWPIG0B 22407

Description
Pignose Bibb Washer
Features
• Bev. 0
• 17/32" DIA X .191 ID X .531 OD X .225 Thick
• Old Part# W-90AB-100

Kent10

Reaction score
I just thought I would update my progress. I went to Home Depot to get some 00 washers and sure enough they are different from the 00 washers that I tried. For some reason the ones I have are thicker. I was optimistic that the new washers would work but they still didn't. It could still be that the seat is damaged but I have one last chance I think. I will try the shorter version of the 0 washer and trim it at the bottom to get it to fit in. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the original washer was torn up, the seat is very likely pitted or chipped, and no washer will work well or last long. The seat wrench is a cheap tool, and the seat is generally cheap, too. If you have access to the back of the thing, it may be reasonable to just replace the whole thing and you'd get a new vacuum breaker, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks