(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country comparisons

How and why does it factor in.

EIA projects declines in U.S. average energy use per person and per dollar of GDP ›
    Same website projects a decline in he US average energy use per person.

Again, their are variables as to why. And, mathematically, it should be factored in to be understood and compared, ie education, improving water systems, health improving, less population, more population, longer lifespans, shorter lifespans, more jobs, less jobs, the economy of each country, etc, they are all components to the larger picture. Each component is part of the solution.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-10-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Cookie, if you want these sorts of debates then the Corner is better suited to having them.

I'll we waiting over there with Bob.

But...

First, Jerome is right.

Secondly, China's and India's emissions are rising because the goods you buy are made there (no longer in America) and their standard of living is increasing. Plus those are big countries, with many times the population of America.

But emissions for making things aren't really the issue. If you look at the numbers, most CO2 emissions come from transportation (cars and trucks) and heating and cooling for homes.

Per person, America does real bad on both counts.

Tax gas. Tax coal. And promote the use of renewables. Do it now. Or China will develop the technology and America will miss the boat.

You'll just have to lose the V8. And I'll have to stop internet shopping from stores in California!
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    Cookie, if you want these sorts of debates then the Corner is better suited to having them.

But...
    Bob is not over there except to use it as a rest room. for both 1 & 2
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

You or anyone at all, are entitled to your opinions of course, just so you realize they are wrong. When you say, "americans" per person, is this including the millions not really legal to be here? If the mass amount of people in India is enjoying a better lifestyle, could it be because now they have money to buy things? to climate control? to own a car? Too create more global warming all on their own. We are damn if we do, or damn if we don't with you and other countries. Are you saying, that we should let them live in poverty or squalor? And, China, are you saying that they do not have the capabilities to clean up their own pollution? Ian, do you realize how you sound regarding your attitudes toward Americans? You say you love us, but, to me, it is more of a slap and a tickle, which is gross. China has more than enough of manpower to clean up their country of pollution and enough of scientists to do what WE did...here, in the US. You need to rethink things regarding what you are saying about these things, for you only see and understand things from a very anti american view.

Bob and I are very happy over here with our debates, of course you are welcomed but, this works for us as fine and dandy as a frog hair split 8 ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post

But...

First, Jerome is right.

Secondly, China's and India's emissions are rising because the goods you buy are made there (no longer in America) and their standard of living is increasing. Plus those are big countries, with many times the population of America.

But emissions for making things aren't really the issue. If you look at the numbers, most CO2 emissions come from transportation (cars and trucks) and heating and cooling for homes.

Per person, America does real bad on both counts.

Tax gas. Tax coal. And promote the use of renewables. Do it now. Or China will develop the technology and America will miss the boat.

You'll just have to lose the V8. And I'll have to stop internet shopping from stores in California!
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-10-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Are you saying, that we should let them live in poverty or squalor? And, China, are you saying that they do not have the capabilities to clean up their own pollution?
    Let them? Who are you, Team America World Police? LOL. China and other countries are fully capable of lowering their emissions but they don't do it including the US! Bush backed out of the Kyoto agreement that would have required many mandatory restrictions on emissions, this set you guys behind many nations that have continued to honor it.

World police, yeah, anti american... we are damn if we do and damned if we don't.

I said, what I said in response to Ian's post:

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Should we care, or should't we care. LOL...

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

People who will be alive in 2050 should care.

The more severe estimates for global warming are a 30 feet rise in sea level and half the planet being uninhabitable.

Not to mention worse weather. And America gets bad weather in a good year.

So, should you care for yourself? Probably not.

But you should definitely care for your kids.

I do.

Unless we make the changes now, America will be unviable. It's too big and depends on the things climate change impacts will cause us to alter most severely, like road transport and coal-powered energy generation.

It needs to adapt and we need Government regulation and taxes to steer that change.

We need to end this sense of entitlement to pollute. You do not have the right to drive a V8 without paying an environmental tax. You do not have the right to use energy made from fossil fuel without paying for the environmental damage burning that fuel causes.

If you can't afford it, don't use it and quit moaning.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.

We could always reduce our population, thus reducing what we emit. What do you think Ian?

Is that a plan?

How odd you are complaining about the same ole' same ole' song & dance, taxes, when, all our systems in the USA are being bogged down by those who are here illegally. Yet, you think, that is okay...

It is the law.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.

I admire what the govn has done for all their other countries, they are all doing so very well.