Shower leak, identifying type

Users who are viewing this thread

marcg83

Reaction score
I have a leak in my shower that comes from the hand held shower head. It seems to leak from hot water. It is a 3 handle faucet that says Gerber on the piece that comes off the handle. I have done some research and I think I may need to change the cartridge but I dont know which one is the right one. I am hesitant to mess around with it due to age (and my wife telling me not to) and was wondering if there is a way to identify it by a photo. I appreciate any help the forum is able to provide.
IMAG0042.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
These days, identifying the brand name is most of the battle. Gerber has been around for a while. Chances are if you take out the hot stem, your local hardware store or plumbing supply will have it. I don't see enough Gerbers to tell you just from the outside which stem it is, but one of the other guys might.

Plan on replacing both stems, and both inside seats. It is a little metal fitting that unscrews with a "seat wrench" which you can get at any hardware store for $10. If you don't change it, odds are it is roughed up a little and will eat the new rubber washers in short order. Not hard or expensive to replace it.

marcg83

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo.
My follow up question would be, how does the handle come off? Does it have to be pulled or is it threaded on?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks