(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a lovely day in America today

Beautiful waterfalls Terry. I wonder what it is about human development which attracts us to falling water? My view on Ian's Corner is that everyone benefits from a frank exchange of ideas, as long as this exchange is done without malice or personal rancor. Like most things in life, the best course may well be to avoid the extremes and to always walk away from the conversation with respect, if not agreement.

I agree. And, if Ian sends cash it works even better I will always agree. I take Pay Pal. lol.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

He likes our pumpkins, meat rolls and some valves. Can't be all bad.

If he bought a nice US made JD excavator, or Ruger rifle, he would learn to love American manufacturing.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ballvalve, I was thinking of you yesterday watching a ski movie. This was in Utah, and they would take their guns and skis up to the mountains and if the weather was too bad for skiing, they would shoot the crap out of everything they could see. One of the guys had an assault rifle. We were laughing pretty good in the theater.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I bought some delicious pumpkins today from a Fall Festival.

It really is a nice time of the year to be in America.

As for the debates we have, well in the words of Nancy Pelosi, "It's the American system...we don't always have to agree".

We luv ya Nancy!

The day I agree with anything commie pinko pelosi has to say...just put the nails in my coffin,.

Name:  101_0680.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  59.8 KBName:  101_0679.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  53.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ballvalve, I was thinking of you yesterday watching a ski movie. This was in Utah, and they would take their guns and skis up to the mountains and if the weather was too bad for skiing, they would shoot the crap out of everything they could see. One of the guys had an assault rifle. We were laughing pretty good in the theater.
    Thanks for the thought, but no assault rifles for me, and the greatest respect when using any sort of them. For the people around and the enviroment. My shoot em up days ended years ago when as a kid dad caught us shooting a treeful of sparrows - made us pluck, cook and eat them all. I might shoot a quail once a year nowadays, but I have always been repulsed about kiling an animal larger than myself, and especially by those that kill them for a 'mount'. Hogs and sausages are another story.

And hardly a chance to break a leg when target practicing.

Lest you consider me a wildman, my real hobby is antiquarian book collecting, 1500's and forward. Heavy on mining history and techniques. I'll try and post a picture of my library. Built everything you see too, except the sofa.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 10-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.

I, for one, and Bob, for another, are still waiting for a picture of the sausage(s) Ballvalve.

But nice library. America was still a colony when some of those books were written.

The joists look a little flimsy though. Hope they're not load bearing.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post

says Ian, as he sets his trap
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

yeah, but he didn't notice the missing brick above the header, lol. no eye for detail...

REALLY, nice Ballsvalve...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    yeah, but he didn't notice the missing brick above the header, lol. no eye for detail...

REALLY, nice Ballsvalve...
    No header needed over that massive arch; I think that's just a little mortar smear and brick at the top of the arch. I built a nice arched fireplace years ago, but it did not require as much support form as this one!
    Arches have tremendous strength; the Romans used them all over the place.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Jeez, Bob, you gave it away, LOL...

It is just really nice isn't it? A comfy looking place to sit with a (american ) tea, and a good book,

I hope there isn't an aquarium sitting on the floor above those joists.

Probably just American growth too. Not the strong stuff imported from Europe.

Name:  October 2011 MISC 103.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  52.5 KBName:  October 2011 MISC 105.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  32.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I, for one, and Bob, for another, are still waiting for a picture of the sausage(s) Ballvalve.

But nice library. America was still a colony when some of those books were written.

Those precious beams were salvaged from a 1800's sawmill floor and are about 7x14". The span is actually less than 16 feet as I recall. and the next [2] floors up are exactly the same, but a dining room and bedroom with more of the beams. 2" concrete floors poured OVER them for radiant and fire protection. I would have used English oak, but its all in guarded parks now, and sunk in oceans after raping and pillaging the earth.

The beams are load bearing, and the "decking" over them is 2"x24" sugar pine milled off the land.

Good eye Cookie. That arch is a rather interesting construction - made a huge form on a slab, then made the window and door unit to fit just inside it. [ made the laminations deep enough so that I ended up witha second 'free' window after bandsawing it out - That would have made a good tv show] Then moved it to the site and erected it in one piece. I think its 16" deep. Bricked up the outer faces and filled the inside with massive amounts of steel. That missing part is to be a marble "keystone" with inscription. Never got to it.

Had to do it that way to survive the next earthquake. Had quite a few already.

The upper floors beams were done as coffered- a tribute to one great English technique.

Added pics: Looks like it would hold an aquarium, eh mate? And the staircase, which is all stucco, should bring you right home Ian. Scratched the stucco until midnight with retarders and 2 or 3 bottles of wine.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 10-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.

And by the way, Ian, the sausages are hanging on your forum for a long time now. I'll see if I can find them and report back.

"things you dont see in america- page 2"
    Last edited by ballvalve; 10-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.